Airline pilot joining RMR/TA

Discussion in 'RMR' started by Bullshot, Jul 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've had a look through the forums on here and ARRSE but can't find an answer.

I'm an airline pilot but still want to join the reserves, preferably the RMR. Before I approach my airline, has anyone heard of any other pilots that are serving reservists?

I'm curious as to how the insurance would work, obviously the slightest injury can lose me my job and my existing insurance doesn't cover war. Is there a services insurance scheme for injuries sustained in service?

Thanks for your help
  2. Good question. Why don't you enquire through your local careers office or reserves unit?

3. will do, cheers
  4. Also, look at the link at the top of the page for Forces Financial - they provide insurance services

Forces Financial is the only provider who has consistently supported the HM Forces with immediate life cover when deployed against war risks* including:
    nuclear, biological and chemical warfare,
    those deployed to Iraq
    * As part of our optional term life cover with our Personal Accident insurance.
  5. I've met one RMR officer, commissioned having reached SNCO, who was an airline pilot, so it can be done.

Go for it.
  6. Bullshot,

There are lots of Reservist pilots that fly commercially full time.

R.e insurance. The MOD has arranged a policy called PAX. This policy is only open to members of HM Forces and their associated reserves. It is a great policy that has been modified recently because of Iraq/Afghanistan etc. It not only covers death but injury. The amount that you insure yourself for is up to the individual. To give you an idea it costs me £40 pcm for £130,000 of life insurance.

Hope this helps.
  7. Thanks for all the info guys, appreciated.
  8. There are plenty of ex regular personnel now working as airline pilots who continue to serve in the Royal Naval Reserve. It is very easy to do.
  9. I have a vision of a 747 painted in camouflage colours, with booties serving drinks and sarnies. Whilst doing DLPs on the New Carriers!