Airfix kits nowadays

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by Pvivax, Jan 20, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just got around to opening my Airfix model kit of a Type 45 1:350 scale which was a drunken pre Christmas purchase I'll admit. I was amazed to see inside that it had about a bazillion bits to it. Seems the kits are a damn sight more complex than the Bismarks/Tirpitz's and HMS Belfast's I built about 40 years ago. Anyone else find this or should I get a breathalyser attached to the laptop/ipad before I make any more daft purchases?

2. I find that the older I get, The more complicated they are :D
  3. The ageing process is weird. As I got older, so the kidney hatches got smaller.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wightsparker - Found the same thing when I put on an old rugby club jersey a few years ago - and at first there was me thinking that Mrs Pvivax had put it in a very hot wash...until I looked in the mirror... and Billy Bunter stared back.
  5. I used to build Airfix planes and tanks and whotnot and then blow 'em up with bangers, which using hindsight
    was a complete waste of my somewhat meagre pocket money. It took almost a quids worth of Wessex bangers
    to utterly destroy a Lancaster or Halifax bomber, and they all had to be carefully cellotaped onto the fuselage and lit
    simultaneously before said model was unceremoniously flung into the air over the local pond, then........

6. Used to do the same with them built inside it! Mind my nipper came back from France with one (or two) of these mega bangers ... and did the same ... never did find all the bits after that one ..

Incidentally talking of kits ... anyone tried to build one of thoise models of Victory/3D Printer etc from bits in a magazine weekly??? First bit £1.99 ... followed by 99 issues at £10 a pop ... 'kin rip off or what!
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doesn't look too difficult, but then I'm quite young.

I'd punt a guess and suggest 'part A' goes with 'part B'

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Send it back NS! You're missing a couple of hundred bits!
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are getting confused. That's just the crumbs off your Rich Tea biscuits.
  10. Ahhhhhhhh.....
  11. Nope...eaten crumbs still lots of bits left.
  12. You're telling me!! Back in the day there were seventy or eighty and I could build one in an hour or two. Now its gonna take a while - mind you eyesight may be an issue now too!