Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jk82, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do you have to be British Citizen to volunteer as an Aircrewman (rating) once you are in the RN? Is there a minimum length of service before you can apply? I would appreciate any details that people can provide me. I have glanced through the other threads on this, however, many are unspecific and seem to drift from the main issue raised at the start.

Thanks as always.
  2. We had quite a few coloured aircrewmen when me and Waspie were Aircrewmen, sure they couldnt all have been British citizens :wink:
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nationality restrictions with regard "sideways entry" trades (Aircrew, PTI & Navy Quattro Constable) are not unfortunately listed in the recruiting regulations as it's an 'in service' issue.

From a recruiting perspective, the advice with regard any sideways entry trade is that individuals are strongly advised not to join the service based purely on the grounds of assuming a transfer will be possible as there is categorically no guarantee. It is important to join in a trade you wish to actually be employed within as there is more chance that you will be employed in that trade than any other.
  5. Yup, Gerry Vilkru, (Sikh), 848 NAS aircrewman rings a bell and his race didn't effect his death when his Wx 5 went in off Looe Bar.

I don't think the service is adverse to trying to get any one killed if required!!!!!!