Aircrewman waiting time?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by caldee22, Jan 31, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone shed some light on the waiting time for Aircrewman? Also, does it require a higher RT score compared to AET?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your AFCO are best placed to advise waiting times as they will know your circumstances. The snag for Aircrewman is there are fewer intakes because it is a smaller branch & FATs are fully booked about a year in advance.

The Recruit Test total score is the same as AET but Aircrewman has higher part-scores in Reasoning, Literacy & Numeracy in relation to AET. AET requires a higher Mechanical Comprehension pass mark than Aircrewman.

Bet you are glad you asked :)
  3. Thanks ninja, i'm still very undecided. Are you aware of the waiting time for AET? I think i recall being told 6-9 months from RT.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, 6-9 months for AET is about right, but the jobs are quite different, so don't be influenced by the wait. The attrition rate for those applying for Aircrew from the outset is extremely high (fewer than one in ten succeed) but if it was impossible, we wouldn't have any.
  5. Is that down to the quality of the candidates or just the difficulty of the tests?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

FATs is the biggest stumbling block with a 10% pass rate for those applying as direct entrants, followed by about a 50% pass rate at the Initial Aviation Medical Examination at Cranwell (despite having already passed the AFCO Medical Examination).
  7. ahh i see...i heard that all applicants are tested to the same standard of what a fast jet pilot would be expected to be at and if thats the case, i have plates in my arm...
  8. Ninja_Stoker

The IAME is to the same standard as pilots. Whether plates are permitted for aircrew I'm unable to advise unfortunately, but possibly @angrydoc or @nemesis1066 are better able to give a pointer.

Gut feeling? It could well be an issue.
  9. Thanks for the help Ninja, i'll get in touch with my AFCO and see what they think.
    • Like Like x 1

10. Good morning. AFCO.............. Ninja Stoker speaking, how can I help you.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ninja_Stoker

I've lost count of the amount of times that has actually happened. It does amuse :)
  12. Look at me - I made it.
    (A very long time ago)
  13. I read online somewhere that the score required is 72 (assuming out of a total of 120 marks for the entire RT).
    Other than that; I don't know how they score or mark the test, but I do believe it is the same score required for AET.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk