Aircrewman travel

Chris P

War Hero
Life is what you make it. Have a few mates who changed from Wafu to S/M's. Loved it, best decision they made talking to them. I reckon what I did was pretty ok too!!! So - you takes your chances whatever is thrown at you!!
TBH, I would have been an aircrewman without flying pay - however!!! Todays crewman is a different animal. Merlin is way more technical and the systems much more elaborate than in my day. Life was simple with only an on - off switch!!!! lol

Must add. (Edited Bit)
On off switch not with standing. ~Todays crewman doesn't have to do DR Navigation!! Now that was something. No computers, just a Dalton whizz wheel to do your sums for you!!!
Me in the office doing a bit of navigational magic!!!View attachment 55958
Steely eyed glint there:)

Chris P

War Hero
Just a little something to bear in mind, when you're delivering the mail around the fleet DON'T whatever you do drop the bag before you get where you're supposed to be - you're a mighty fine target hanging on that little piece of winch wire!!

LifebuoyGhost

Lantern Swinger
On Beira patrol - crabs doing mail drop - first drop of the patrol the Shackleton flies by - plan is to drop the mail - sealed in a big tube in the oggin and away sea boat - Shackleton flies past and off goes the mail - sinks like a stone - flies past again and the loadmaster is in the doorway laughing his arse off - the crabs thought it was funny for some reason - then they dropped the actual mail - bastards

Waspie

War Hero
On Beira patrol - crabs doing mail drop - first drop of the patrol the Shackleton flies by - plan is to drop the mail - sealed in a big tube in the oggin and away sea boat - Shackleton flies past and off goes the mail - sinks like a stone - flies past again and the loadmaster is in the doorway laughing his arse off - the crabs thought it was funny for some reason - then they dropped the actual mail - bastards
Talking to a few RAF 'Loadies' it was SOP when doing a mail drop to a war canoe at sea!!!!