Aircrewman and Heart Murmur

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by NDW09, Apr 28, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon all,

Having had my AFCO Medical, sadly I was made TMU pending further investigation into a Heart Murmur.

I'm absolutely mortified and disappointed that having got this far that I seem to have firmly hit a brick wall (with a rather loud bang).

I've booked to see my GP and to have a ECG and Echo and under the consideration to see a Cardiologist.

I'm under no illusion that the medical requirements for joining the Military are high and for Air crewman, more so.

I was wondering whether anyone else here was told they have a murmur at their initial AFCO Medical and what your outcome was?
    (Without wishing to intrude too much into your personal and medical history).

I must add (and I hope this could potentially be a reason for it) I was incredibly anxious about my medical.

But; now the wait for referrals etc begins.

I suppose at least something has been highlighted and brought to my attention now rather than later but I just certainly hope this isn't the end of a dream career!.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Put heart murmur into the search box (top right) there's a copy of threads on it.

3. Thanks janner,

Apologies, I joined the club of 'posting without searching' first.

Regards,

NDW09

• Like Like x 1
  4. It's a big club.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I can't remember who it was but type in 'medical' into the search function and there have been a few murmurs. You'll just have to sift through the threads

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

How far have you got? Passed the Recruit Test & Interview, or have you already successfully passed PJFT & FATs, too?

A surprising number of applicants only find out the have a heart murmur or are colour blind at the AFCO stage of selection. In most cases, the heart murmur is benign, but I suspect that it maybe a significant issue at the Initial Aviation Medical Examination even if you may be passed OK at the AFCO medical. Again, hopefully I'm wrong, but forewarned is forearmed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi Ninja,

Thanks for your reply.

I have passed the Recruit test and Interview.

Hoping its benign and that it was made more apparent due to my nerves on the day.

Thank you all for your comments.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good evening all,

Had my ECG today and sadly an abnormality of some sort was detected, awaiting to hear back from the GP and then can take it from there in what needs doing.

Sadly, not the result I'd hoped for.

Will keep you all updated.

Best regards

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I hope things go well for you mate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks mate, appreciate it.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear, not good but on a positive note, your own good health is the primary concern and had it not been detected, the significance could have caused greater issues.

In recent years we've had people discover they had a brain tumour at the eye test. Shocking to hear, but cured by early intervention thank goodness.

Hope all goes well for you & best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Good evening all
    Had a few updates further to my last post back in early May. The results of my ECG came back that all looked normal aside from a slight abnormality (which I was made aware of at the check-up) and the Quack thinks it may be one of my valves pushing the blood through too quickly, thus resulting in the whooshing sound.
    However, I've since had an appointment made to see the local Cardiologist on the 1st Aug, this appointment can't come quick enough.
    Now, I know that I may asking a question where-by 'how long is a piece of string' but if on the basis all comes back benign and my heart is healthy aside from this abnormality, what is the likelihood of still being able to pursue Aircrewman? Would the Med centre at Cranwell still deem this a instant bar?

Thanks all.

13. Good afternoon all,

Been a while since I posted but have some developments since my last post a few months back.

Since then, I've been to visit the Cardiologist and was given the excellent news that my heart is healthy and functioning normally.

I was told I have an innocent flow murmur and had a few other tests to conclude this and that I was told no further follow ups would be required and my case was closed - the best news I could ask for.

Since, I've started (slowly) getting back into fitness and have my second AFCO medical booked on September 10th.

Best regards,

Nathan

• Like Like x 1
  14. Good news, good luck going forward

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

That's good news. I had exactly the same progression as you. In fact these murmurs can come on in adult life. The internal ECG is interesting isn't it? I declined the sedation because I'm so hard. I then had the equivalent of Deep Throating an Eel.

You wait until you get old and have to have probes put up the other end of your body....

• Like Like x 1