Aircrew success rate?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Sierra_Hotel, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any statics floating around on here that i've missed, concerning the success rate of how many aspiring pilots actually get through in the end. Appologies if i've missed it.

Still believe the FAA can offer a better career than any of the other services, and the airlines don't like straight out of flight school kids. Unfortunately i'm incredibly pessimistic, and still question whether I will make the grade or not, as I don't want to end up as an EngO in all honesty. Will the fact that I have already gone solo on both Light Aircraft and gliders by the age of 17 act in my favour?

Thanks

Sam

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

These are guestimates rather than hard facts, but:

Approximately 90% of people who enter an AFCO want to be a pilot initially until they realise what the basic requirements are.

Fewer than 10% are eligible to apply.

About 50% of those eligible pass FATs & AIB.

About 50% of those forwarded for selection get selected.

The fact that you have flown solo will certainly not be a disadvantage however the Flying Aptitude Test is such that anyone with zero flying experience should be equally as able to pass.

3. Also:
    1) If I were unsuccessful as a pilot, at what point would this be in the training, and would I be commited to joining the Navy as something, or would I be in a position to leave?

2) Are there any books in particular that I should be reading as a potential navy officer? (other than those from the careers office)

Thanks
    Sam

p.s. Shouldn't all the'wanna be pilots' have to pay a pound for each question they ask?!

4. Ninja_Stoker

1) You are under no obligation to join the service at any stage of the selection process. Once you pass selection and physically join and start being trained (at great expense), there is a a minimum return of service in order that you effectively make the investment worthwhile. In other words we don't simply train you to be a pilot & expect you to bugger-off once you are qualified. Your ACLO will advise you, depending on trade training, what the minimum return of service is.

2) There are no specific books to read, but a comprehensive understanding of the Armed forces would be a bonus. Doubtless people will recommend some excellent reading material, but there's not a definitive "How to be an Officer" book as it is very much a subjective issue.

As previously stated, the whole world usually wants to be a fighter pilot- the actuality is somewhat different. Because so many state they want to be pilots, it is therefore inevitable that pilots get unfairly credited with asking the most obscure questions.

5. Assuming you pass FAT, AIB and are then selected for aircrew training and enter BRNC, there are any number of points along the way to gaining you "wings" at which you could be spun. A selection are; flying grading which happens at BRNC, EFT at Cranwell, BFT which is carried out on the aircraft type (ie rotary or fixed wing) to which you have been streamed and OFT on the aircraft type that you are actually going to fly. As you get further down the pipeline the more your training up to that point has cost and therefore the more likely you are to be given every help and encouragement to pass. Students who are borderline are backclassed for another go etc. If you fail completely at flying you may be allowed to stay in the RN but that depends on such things as how you have done so far in the non flying bits, what the requirement is for new entries in alternative branches and to some extent what your wishes are. You will never get your wings (or pass AIB) if you start out being afraid of failure. You must be postive and give it your all. The AIB will not be impressed if you tell them you are using the Service as a passport to civvy flying! In any case if you want to be a civvy pilot when you leave the Navy you will need to get additional civvy licences which will cost you about £50,000.

Hope this helps

6. I started the application process (Pilot) back in MArch (first interview with ACLO) and i am starting BRNC on Monday. It is possible, but i have worked really hard to get here now, i basically had no social life whatsoever leading up to AIB, i stayed in every night reading up on the navy. A good factual book about the aircraft, ships and boats used is "The MOD's guide to the RN" you can get it off amazon.

I know i've worked hard to now, but i know the work is only just beginning, i think for pilot you have to REALLY want it, it an't just be pn a whim. Places are limited and if at AIB there is someone else there who wants it more they will get chosen not you.

I am led to believe that up until you leave BRNC you can leave with a months notice, after this when you start pilot training you are signed up for your 12 year commission and for that you have to give a years notice "HOWEVER" i don't know how true this is. I never bothered finding out when i can/can't leave as i'm planning on sticking it out. Surely you should be asking questions on how to get in, not how to get out!!

7. I think some people may have mis-interpreted the question (if they haven't, then I have !)

Is it not asking more like " If I am unsuccessful at becoming a pilot, will I have to stay in the mob and transfer to another branch, or will I have the opportunity to leave having failed"

I stand to be corrected, but this is how I read it and I'm not sure that question has not been answered (and I don't know the answer to help, sorry)

8. Ninja_Stoker

You are 100% correct. Well spotted.

The answer is that if you fail Aircrew training you MAY possibly be offered a transfer to a shortage category trade, otherwise more likely discharged.

The selection process for Aircrew, as previously suggested, is considered sufficiently stringent to ensure only the highest calibre successful applicants with the very highest chance of passing are selected. The training is so expensive & the standards so high that few fail training.

9. Oh okay... i think i mis-interpreted the post too.

I thought he was saying he didn't think he was going to pass, and i was using my example as someone who has gone through the process, to show it is possible to do.

No offence meant, i'm writing this at work and don't have time to read things thoroughly!!

Good luck anyway though, just give it your all.

10. Well done KLNA-Cessna-Jockey, that was indeed what I ment, although its probably my poor wording thats caused it! Thanks for you're help!
    Let me know how you get on a BRNC natg, an insite into what is ahead would be great!

Also at university, should I go for URNU or UAS? URNU would be obvious, but if I can have yet more help with flying from crab air it could well help me in the direction of FJ later on...

11. If you get sponsored by the RN as a pilot through uni you can be associated with your UAS - this happened on ours and also on another to a friend of mine.
    With an RN career in mind I would say URNU, but if you want to fly more, go UAS (you still do get a lot of flying, the 10hrs is more of a 'guidline' but you get other hours which aren't used as a lot of people chose not to fly). Many UAS guys do go on to join the FAA....

12. I Agree with Nat, I started the process of being a pilot as well. Passed my AIB and Passed my Aptitude tests which as said above was not easy a lot of studying was involved and a lot of commitment.

I am however more glad to be an officer in the Royal Navy so i accepted ATCO as being the Officer was more important to me.

It can be done and as long as you stick it out you can do it but i sugest you ask these questions at your AFCO! They are there to help you

13. I spent some amazing time with the URNU. Met friends and gained the confidence i needed for the AIB!

If i stuck out UNI then i would still be there.

Never forget the days of ye olde HMS SMITER! My first visit to FASLANE to view the ship and my Aqquaint weekend at Faslane.

14. [/quote]I Agree with Nat, I started the process of being a pilot as well. Passed my AIB and Passed my Aptitude tests which as said above was not easy a lot of studying was involved and a lot of commitment.

I am however more glad to be an officer in the Royal Navy so i accepted ATCO as being the Officer was more important to me.

It can be done and as long as you stick it out you can do it but i sugest you ask these questions at your AFCO! They are there to help you[/quote]

While its undeniably good to work hard for the aptitudes, You'll have to remember that its not neccessarily about the work. My personal experience (applied last april, aptitudes in august, AIB November and joining BRNC in 3 days time) was that when I got to the FATs thre were a lot of people who sat around reading various books about maths, physics, flying etc etc. I don't know any exact figures - I was admittedly done and dusted before a good deal of people came out of the testing - but the fact that I didn't do any of that - just quite a lot of maths practice - didn't set me back at all. Its not about the work you've done for it, as you will be told, but its all in your genes!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

15. Just thought I would jump in and say to those of you that start BRNC soon you'll have a great time and there's nothong to worry about. But with regards to earlier posts you can get chopped at any stage even without failing tests. You could be conceived to be a future training risk and therefore a risk to the RN's investment in you. Remember as has been said before, Officer first, pilot second.

16. Taking my FAT and AIB in September, anyone applied as a pilot and got a Uni scholarship or is DE entry better? seeing as the training for pilot is so long
    thanks