Aircrew Roles and Asthma

I've been told that I'm barred from RAF Aircrew Roles (ie. WSOP) due to having minor asthma as a child which I have long grown out of and have been going on without symptoms and medication for years. I was wondering whether this also applies for aircrew roles in the Fleet Air Arm? Many thanks to helpful replies :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst you could pass the AFCO medical examination, the Initial Aviation Medical Examination (IAME), after successfully passing all other Aircrew selection elements is conducted at RAF Cranwell by an aviation occupational health expert. Exactly the same standards are applied as RAF, even if rotary wing rather than fast jet.

Unfortunately the standards are non-negotiable and apply to all RN aircrew posts.

Sorry it's not good news but it's important to manage expectations from the outset rather than at the end of the selection process.

Whilst you could pass the AFCO medical examination, the Initial Aviation Medical Examination (IAME), after successfully passing all other Aircrew selection elements is conducted at RAF Cranwell by an aviation occupational health expert. Exactly the same standards are applied as RAF, even if rotary wing rather than fast jet.

Unfortunately the standards are non-negotiable and apply to all RN aircrew posts.

Sorry it's not good news but it's important to manage expectations from the outset rather than at the end of the selection process.
Thanks Ninja, I was expected a reply like this anyway so I'll just draw back to my second option and opt for the bootnecks.

As an ex aircrewman, Ninja, as usual has given sage advice. I went through the mill and the medical was without a doubt the area we lost the vast majority of we wannabe aircrewmen. They thinned my course from some 40 + down to less than 10.
Bootnecks is a good fall back. Play with lots of noisy toys and still get to fly in military choppers. (You may also get thrown out of a few too).
Whatever road you go down, good luck.