aircrew officer pilot

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Renavon, Oct 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if anybody could give me some information on the daily life of an aircrew officer pilot.

What is daily life like?

What are your responsibilities?

What are the cons of your job?

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

2. What is daily life like? ................A lot of time spent admiring ones self in the mirror

What are your responsibilities? ...Making sure everyone knows you are a pilot.

What are the cons of the job? .....Having to fly occasionally:slow:

3. Thank you for the detailed and helpful reply! ^^

4. A sense of humour, youll go far.
    Someone will be along shortly with a sensible answer

5. ...any day now lol.

6. They're too busy making their Christmas wish lists, Boots the Chemist and Superdrug shelves will soon be empty!

• Like Like x 1
  7. wal

wal Badgeman

.....and make sure that you have a Breitling watch, before you start.

A Rolex will do if your hard up.

8. Alternately feel free to use the sites search feature as this is a recurring question!

9. Especially by those who pay them...

10. Feeling the Love for the AOP's right here lol. It's what I'm interested in and seeing as me and my family have been pretty breadline all my life I wont be getting any Breitling any time soon. Guess it's not meant to be, hand me a mop!

11. To answer the original question - A few pointers on aviation in the RN:
    To get into civil aviation with licences will cost at least £80,000 and lead to long hours, not necessarily actually hands-on flying. Navy flying is more varied and landing on a ship quite tricky (particularly at night in bad weather) - if you pass the selection and training, it will not cost you a penny (unless you buy that Breitling!).
    Whereas a civilian Pilot has no extra duties, onboard the Pilot will find him/herself with Divisional responsibilities (for subordinates), get involved in Sqn/Ship Duty Officer and many other secondary tasks.
    Bad point - being away for 6 months at a time on a ship - but that's what you join the RN for!
    Pay is good in the services compared to the smaller airlines, unless you "land" a job with one of the larger "quality" airlines.

12. "being away for 6 months at a time on a ship"

I got 99 problems, but THAT ain't one :)

13. What are you hoping to join as? You don't seem very 'officer-ish'.

14. Myself? I'm interested in Fleet Air Arm. I'm looking into applying as an Officer Pilot. But I know how it looks when a "When I grow up I want to be..." comment gets thrown up so I'm just taking it all step by step, do my best and let the bones fall where they may. And as for not seeming very 'officer-ish'... how should an officer sound?

15. Thanks, guess I'll get practising. AIB are gonna love that!

16. I said 'seem' not 'sound' as I can't hear you.

Don't know really, just a feeling - ignore me. Good luck.