rmc

Just looking for up to date information on the role if possible whilst waiting to speak to my AFCO. Have applied as mine clearance diver however have decided I would prefer to join the FAA instead as an Aircrew officer pilot. I have looked at many previous threads however a lot date back to 2017 and the specific ones go back to 2011. Questions:

1. How long is the current wait before starting training if known? (Am waiting for response from afco so if not known then no worries)

2.Any knowledge on the training from the beginning at Dartmouth to the specific on base training time frame and activities? I haven't been able to find many specific elements of the training.

3.Does the FAT decide whether you're best suited to P or O? Is it likely that they will put you forward for the other role if you score better for it/not good enough for one? I've seen some be put through to observer even when they applied for pilot and scored better on aptitude tests compared to other pilots who were selected

4. Is the career progression once finishing flying still more directed towards warfare officer on ship?

5. Percentage of applicants that make it through the training/drop out rate? As I have seen many drop out during holdover.

6. I have seen some posts which suggest deployment duration could be around 6 months however others have said it can be 9months+, is there any average figure or is it just whatever comes basically?

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
Whichever role you go for please do not forget to start training so as to never pass a mirror.
Mirrors are most important to imprint on your brain that you are a good looking fanny magnet!

rmc

Whichever role you go for please do not forget to start training so as to never pass a mirror.
Mirrors are most important to imprint on your brain that you are a good looking fanny magnet!
As a heterosexual female I believe I will retract from trying to appear as a fanny magnet and rather appear as the polar opposite magnet!

Waspie

War Hero
The only thing I would add is that being aircrew is, 'be flexible'.

Deployments/Detachments may be quoted as 6-9 months as you say. The reality may be slightly different. My sons brother in law is a Merlin jockey. (2&½). He was telling me he came off one 6 month deployment and straight into another 4 month detachment to Norway. (Edited to add, as well as the actual deployment there will be a period of pre deployment training.) As aircrew you'll get used to training - you are always training!!).

Life can be tough and as an officer you will be expected to be the Navies 'man', 'woman'*. Delete as applicable.

I remember being at RAF Leuchars (with Sea Harriers) and we were working out of Tornado Squadron. A Female pilot came back in as her aircraft had gone U/S on start up, she shouted through "Can I have a Rigger out here to check out my Flaps?"......

Of course she regretted saying that for a very long time.

Flying training is in the order of 3-4 years, which is frankly far too long, but caused by lots of factors adding up. You’ll have holds in there - I know some who’ve had 3 years (but that was the bad old days).

In terms of selection, FAT will be a fairly strong indicator, but placed alongside things like required numbers, other people’s performance, etc etc. It’s not unusual to be streamed on your lower school if we’ve a greater need.

You can keep flying if you want. My last pilot had over 3000 hours and was pretty crusty. I also know Ship COs who only did one or two flying jobs pre-PWO course.

Deployments are a variable thing these days. Some ships are doing 4 months on, 4 months off; some are doing 7-8 month trips; some are doing other stuff. Equally, you might join a aircraft type (Cdo Wildcat) that doesn’t do a huge amount of embarked flying, but does do detachments around the world.

As for dropping out, that’s a combination of your determination and skill. The numbers mean little.