Aircrew Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sentenashi, Sep 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has been playing on my mind for a while now, brought up by a recent post.

Does anyone have accurate details on what exactly goes on during the Aircrew Medical at the end of the Aircrew AIB?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AngryDoc is probably the one best placed to advise the specifics.
  3. As I said in a previous thread, I'm too far out of the loop now. My initial Aircrew med was in the mid 70's.

Don't suppose it's any less stringent.

Minor point but I believe you can fly with corrected vision. I.e. glasses. Although unknown as to if it acceptable at the initial medical.
  4. ECG- They put a few wires on your chest and take a few readings off your heart- I guess they're looking for murmours.

EEG- They'll strap a few wires to your head, so they have an accurate picture of what's going on in your brain while they do a couple of checks. Firstly, they'll flash a strobe in front of your eyes at various frequencies known to cause epileptic fits to see how your brain responds to it. Secondly, you'll hyperventilate for three minutes to see how your brain responds to reduced oxygen levels.

This is what happened in my first in '05, along with the normal blood tests etc.
  5. Alright, thank's very much.

Did you get in as aircrew then?
  6. Yes
  7. Congrats, so are you still in training? Did you go for Pilot or observer?

(Sorry about the questions, but I'm trying for Aircrew and I'm a bit nervous) XD
  8. The best advice for any training is team work. It's an old cliche' but valid for aircrew too. You be a pilot but your just part of a team. Either during training, part of an aircrew or a member of a squadron.
  9. Alright, thanks, I'll take that onboard.
  10. I went in as a pilot. Basically found that I didn't really want to fly for a living, and went to the Army (Inf.). The Andrew was a good crack while it lasted, I just found that I needed a more physical existence. What Waspie said is valid. During the first stages of flying training when you're cramming every bit of gen. you can- I won't elaborate, because that'll spoil the surprise ( :thumright: ), but you are given a ridiculously small amount of time to learn checks, while trying to learn a lot of flying skills in a short time, while also studying aircraft limits, temperatures, speeds etc. Mental overload is the name of the game. This is when you need your oppos- you can't learn that amount of gen by yourself.
    FATs are there for a reason: URNU courses do the same flying grading course (ie. guys that haven't passed FATs) as the guys who are in as pilots. 40% URNU, 90% pass rate for the pilots.

Give it your all, you'll do fine. Make sure it's what you really want to do.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Joined as a pilot then decided to join the infantry. By choice?
  12. Ninja,

Haha. Partly by choice. Chopped after grading. 'Motivational' problems. Decided not to apply for branch transfer, and do that. 40% of the URNU guys meet the standards required for pilots on grading.

Victim of the mighty axe,
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I don't doubt that 40% of all people attending FATs pass, not just URNU students, but very few pass FATs & AIB, get selected as Aircrew Officer, start training then voluntarily decide to leave & join the Army in the infantry role.

Then again stranger things happen at sea.
  14. Sorry, there seems to be a slight misunderstanding.

727 run courses for URNU guys that want to do some flying. This happens to be in essence the same as the grading course for serving pilots. 40% of the URNU guys reach the standard required on this course for serving pilots.

As for me, I was chopped on grading, in fairly spectacular fashion- I won't elaborate. Instead of applying for a branch transfer, I left and went to the Army. I won't elaborate further, as I'm not writing an autobiography on a public website. I VOLWFTd from BRNC fairly recently in favour of going to RMAS.

I have no idea of the FATs pass rate, and I'm not going to make up random numbers.
  15. Is the URNU the university unit of the navy?

By the way, thanks aljh.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, Si comprende.

There are 14 University Royal Navy Units across the UK and they essentially take on around 17 Honourary Officer Cadets each year as RNR (List 7, no call-up liability) students whilst they are at Uni. They get paid for drill nights and weekends and 2-3 week deployments on their P2000 patrol craft.
  17. Unfortunately Edinburgh doesn't have on so ended up joining the OTC (army equivalent for URNU) and was sorely tempted to go the dark side....
  18. Well you probably made the right choice :whew:
  19. Yeah, the pay's better in the senior service! :woot: in the Royal Navy seems to be far more satisfying and with greater job opportunities......erm........ ;)
  20. Hehe. :w00t: