Aircrew Medical Blood Pressure

Hi all, sorry for banging on about the same issue (@Pontius). I just took some blood pressure readings today at the local medical centre and all fine but I’m certain when at Cranwell I’ll be looking at a 160 as this has happened multiple times before. Just wanted to know if any of you experienced chaps thought it’d be a good idea to bring some blood pressure readings with me to Cranwell, so that when I explain I have white coat syndrome they can look at the previous readings and see I’m not making up a load of crap to get out of a fail? I might be making a mountain out of a molehill and I’m sorry if I’ve made some of you sigh! I just don’t want to fall at this final hurdle for something I know I shouldn’t. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The medical is and always has been the biggest 'fail' on aircrew selection.
Trying to persuade medical staff with 'evidence' probably not a good idea in my humble opinion. However, these days - who knows and who am I to say.
If I were you in all honesty, I'd just try and relax, stay calm. You never know they may take higher levels into account due to the nature of the selection. (Not fact - just me being optimistic).
End of the day, all you can do is turn up. Do the medical and like all before you - cross your fingers!!!!!!
Good luck.

The medical is and always has been the biggest 'fail' on aircrew selection.
Trying to persuade medical staff with 'evidence' probably not a good idea in my humble opinion. However, these days - who knows and who am I to say.
If I were you in all honesty, I'd just try and relax, stay calm. You never know they may take higher levels into account due to the nature of the selection. (Not fact - just me being optimistic).
End of the day, all you can do is turn up. Do the medical and like all before you - cross your fingers!!!!!!
Good luck.
Thanks for the response Waspie, yeah you may be right that it would come across in the wrong manner. Guess I’ll just hope they see that I’m fit and make an allowance knowing it’s WCS.

The more you convince yourself you have "WCS", the more you'll panic. just get the mindset in place that it's just a test. You've already got yourself good results, you're just proving to the Docs how you did it.

if a blood pressure test causes you high blood pressure, how will you cope the first time you land on a rolling flight deck?

The more you convince yourself you have "WCS", the more you'll panic. just get the mindset in place that it's just a test. You've already got yourself good results, you're just proving to the Docs how you did it.

if a blood pressure test causes you high blood pressure, how will you cope the first time you land on a rolling flight deck?
Rolling deck!!!!!!! The first time they hand the radio over to you!!!!! Ok, student filth!!!!! "You have the radio!!!"
What do I say? What does it all mean???? What do you mean 'read back'??????? What's a right hand runway for gods sake?????? Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Give me the medical any day!!!!!

Thanks for the response Waspie, yeah you may be right that it would come across in the wrong manner. Guess I’ll just hope they see that I’m fit and make an allowance knowing it’s WCS.

Like I said - just turn up.
On a silver lining side. If there is anything wrong with you - you'll find out then!!!
I had a muscle in my ticker that wasn't in sync - I passed. I hadn't a clue before the medical. Never bothered me since. Too much to worry about in this crazy world we live in!
Have a chilled night before your medical and like I said relax. Just treat like an everyday event.
Most of all - don't worry. The end of the world isn't RAF Cranwell. Cant be - its full of Crabs.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
To the OP:

Not to sound like the harbinger of doom & gloom, but I've sat a number(!) of Aircrew Medicals in my time, and pitching up with self-sourced tickets stating that you have or haven't got this-or-that will not (IMHO) affect the eventual outcome. Your blood pressure (as well every other item on your PULHEEMS) is measured in clinical conditions exactly the same as every other candidate. It's part of the filtering / selection system, and everyone who gets a place on a flying course of whatever description has to pass through that system. The tri-Service aircrew medical system is deliberately stringent for extremely good reasons that have been validated over decades. I've known 25 yr pilots fail PME for high or low blood pressure and it didn't stop regular Service MOs grounding them.

If OASC, or your MO in your annual aircrew medical, started accepting get-out-of-jail-free chits from external sources, then the system would fall to bits pretty quickly.

High heart rate - just use a watch with Mickey Mouse hands and it'll measure it slower.
Failed aptitude? No worries, just pitch up with a chit that says you're good at Microsoft F-16 Flight Simulator.
Failed reflex test? No worries, just remember to kick when the Doc hits your knee with the little rubber hammer next time.
Overweight? Just pitch up with a chit from the local weighing machine in Sleaford Rail Station.
Failed eyesight? No worries, a note from Mr Patel the opthalmologist in Lincoln will be just fine.
Failed hearing? etc etc etc etc

See where I'm going with this?

Sorry if that's not the reply you were looking for.

Appreciate all the replys, ended up not taking any self sourced tickets but did get some extra readings taken at the local medical centre and put on my record the day before heading up to Cranwell in case high readings struck. Lowest reading I could get in the BP test at Cranwell was 140/70 after many readings of 160+ at times. Every other part of the medical went smoothly, my debriefing medical officer said that seeing as the only issue is with my blood pressure readings and that my records show I had the same issue when tested by Capita that was sorted after taking perfect readings with my GP that I could be optimistic to be passed fit. I just have to hope for the best now. Thanks for the advice everyone and wish me luck!

Appreciate all the replys, ended up not taking any self sourced tickets but did get some extra readings taken at the local medical centre and put on my record the day before heading up to Cranwell in case high readings struck. Lowest reading I could get in the BP test at Cranwell was 140/70 after many readings of 160+ at times. Every other part of the medical went smoothly, my debriefing medical officer said that seeing as the only issue is with my blood pressure readings and that my records show I had the same issue when tested by Capita that was sorted after taking perfect readings with my GP that I could be optimistic to be passed fit. I just have to hope for the best now. Thanks for the advice everyone and wish me luck!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went.
Good luck.