Aircrew maths

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by danny, Nov 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi as i have said in other posts i want to be an Aircrewman, although currently i cant put myself forward for manning clearance as i have a return of service for something else i must first serve.
    So to give myself the best chance i want to use the time the best i can. What maths should i be concentrating on? Maths isn't above me I'm just out of practice and its something i don't want to have to worry about when i eventually do get a grading.
    Thanks in advance.

2. If I have 4 crew and 4 Hotel rooms will everybody get one each?

If I have a box of 48 Mars Bars, disguised as aircrew rations and have 6 people on board, how many can I scoff before handing them out?

If the government takes 10% of my flying pay away, will I still be able to afford the gas guzling sports car in the car park?

3. I hope so otherwise whats the point? lol

4. Most important......32feet/second/second

5. Maths :roll: :roll: Just good enough, too count out your Flying Pay loud , when in the pay muster with the fish heads :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Old Navy...9.81m/s/s in the modern world

7. Take offs = Controlled Landings "OK"

Take offs > Controlled Landings = Oh Shit

8. Just in case he reaches the dizzy hieghts off a FAA pilot :roll: Seat clears ejection rails at 50 feet (15 m) per second :wink: :wink:

9. Catapult take off, better than SEX, :wink: arrestor wire landing, a controlled CRASH :wink:

10. If a bottle of suntan lotion contains 500ml and I am about to deploy for 7 months, you will need to work this out:

Bottles required x days deployed divided by hours in the sun per squre inch of body being tanned.

Easy one to start with.

11. danny. the jolly japes and banter is good and you'll have to get used to it; but it won't get you paid for being in a flying machine.

Starting at http://www.pprune.org/military-airc...es-wannabes-please-read-thread-first-109.html , have a general read through. There's lots of pointless crap in there but that's life.

You can't go wrong with basic distance-time-speed calculations, without a calculator. get used to doing them with hour-minute-second conversions. Remember that hours-fuel-fuel rate are basically the same formula and be ready to use them together for certain problems.

12. Incompetance is directly proportional to shite spouted at post flight de-briefs!

13. are we talking about the pilots or the pinkies ????

personally i think the pinkies win especially the big moffmeister with his statellite interference debrief

14. :wink: Buy yourself a BASIC Dalton COMPUTOR http://www.pooleys.com/prod_list.cfm?product_category_id=93&product_sub_category_id=118 really good for Nav Etc, probably dont use them today!!!!! but its the same principals :lol: :lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E6B#History_of_the_E-6B

15. Fair one, I remember that one!!

Or the pilot telling me the Kalman Filter required cleaning!!!

16. The Dalton whiz wheel is a really wonderful bit of kit [​IMG]
    but OASC won’t let him use it.

17. POL :roll: FFS No old and bold aircrewman,ever flew without one, and the SAR Bag as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Once he's been selected, the lad can use what he wants.

I had to buy my own MK3B and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I had to hand back the one I was issued with at flying school. The one I wasn't allowed to use for the Nav exam.

19. ha! ha1 im still waiting For any come back for all my flying gear at home!!!! after all those years when it all got lost in a ditching :lol: :lol: :lol: The Queens Regulations and the Admiralty Instructions - 1861

20. Front line dalton. RAS to TAS rules!!!!!

[​IMG]

I don't know if navigation is taught any more but being able to mighty swift with basic maths was very useful.

With the emphasis on ASW technology particularly passive I think maths may have moved on to a more complex variety, involving formulae rather than being able to multiply and such.

Maybe a serving crewie could add his two penneth!!