Aircrew Eyesight Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by CityBoy1988, Oct 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering how many eyesight examinations are carried out for aircrew applicants? Is it just the one as part of the initial application, or is there a further eyesight test (same as the first one) at the aircrew medical following AIB - or is that just colour perception/blindness etc rather than looking at visual acuity?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

After passing the recruiting test, all candidates are given an Optician Report form to undergo a visual acuity test at a local optician - usually Dollond & Aitchison.

Civilian opticians may sometimes give applicants the Ishihari colour perception test but that only establishes whether you meet CP2 or less.

The larger AFCOs may give you a Lantern Test during your medical examination or failing that, if your AFCO doesn't have one it can be tested either at FATs or AIB.

3. :roll: All aircrewman/divers have their eyes tested looking through Ray Bans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking wings

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The test involves you standing 5 metres away from a full length mirror and you have to apply hair gel without squinting.

5. Then how did I pass! I've never had hair!!!!

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You obviously knew how to mix a pink gin and you have a good line in rough shag i would assume.