Aircrew branch transfer

It's relatively simple:
Fill out the Requestman Form requesting to Branch transfer, get it signed off by your DO and medical centre, then the UPO has to do the rest.
Make sure you also get the Requestman number so you can chase it up.

Waspie

War Hero
It's relatively simple:
Fill out the Requestman Form requesting to Branch transfer, get it signed off by your DO and medical centre, then the UPO has to do the rest.
Make sure you also get the Requestman number so you can chase it up.
But he doesn't want his DO to know!!!
Sounds like he's pissed off with parent branch and reaching out for options!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
His DO may be on here and knows he's got a grumpy twat in the division and put two and two together and knows already.

Waspie

War Hero
True, but the DO will have to sign eventually.
It was the other way round in my case. My pilot, boss/DO and skipper conspired to get me a flying course!! I had been drafted to the ship, (Scylla) as a locally trained winchman. My boss/DO, knowing I had previously failed a basic flying training course allowed me to navigate. Outside my job spec!!!
Well, behind my back, he and the skipper applied, (request form), for me to cary out flying training.
First I knew was when I was asked to go to the ships office to sign my draft chit. Naive me thought I was being drafted to another war canoe. However, draft chit said Culdrose for BFT. Mistake I thought. Take it up with my DO says POwtr.
I did. Then the truth came out!! No signature from me at all on request form!!! I'm most grateful to them both for their confidence in me! Best move I made transferring!

Last edited:

Adamski

Midshipman
Thank you for your reply. The notifications have been going to my junk email, hence the late response.
I have read the BRs with regards to Transfers and Aircrewman and Officer and saw the age restrictions but the ages have been increased on the RN Careers website but I haven't seen an update on the BRs or a RNTM, so I thought I would ask the question in here.
Reference to my Branch, I am a Medic but have come to realise that I will probably leave the Navy with little chance of being able to get a decent healthcare job outside so am looking at other options.
However, I don't see why my Branch makes any difference, as long as I can get Branch clearance.

I did not think contacting the Aircrewman school would be an option but I will do so now.

Thank you again for your guidance.

Waspie

War Hero
@Adamski. I think you may have left it too late!! Upper age 30 for transfer to the Aircrewman Branch. I had to get Flag Officer Aviations approval because I would qualify less than a month after my 26th birthday. (That was the upper age way back). So being 5 years over, you would have to show exceptional qualities to get around that one. (And, a DO who is on your side I would imagine). All that said, if you are determined to apply then do it. It's the only way you will find out.
Your parent branch will make no difference transferring, the criteria is listed in the link I posted in thread #13.
Just out of interest, have you any previous flying experience. (Not holiday flights!!).

Adamski

Midshipman
@Adamski. I think you may have left it too late!! Upper age 30 for transfer to the Aircrewman Branch. I had to get Flag Officer Aviations approval because I would qualify less than a month after my 26th birthday. (That was the upper age way back). So being 5 years over, you would have to show exceptional qualities to get around that one. (And, a DO who is on your side I would imagine). All that said, if you are determined to apply then do it. It's the only way you will find out.
Your parent branch will make no difference transferring, the criteria is listed in the link I posted in thread #13.
Just out of interest, have you any previous flying experience. (Not holiday flights!!).
I probably have left it too late but I’ll do some more digging/ contact the aircrewman school and see if it is still possible.
I have not done any actual flying myself but I have been on several military helicopter flights.

Waspie

War Hero
I probably have left it too late but I’ll do some more digging/ contact the aircrewman school and see if it is still possible.
I have not done any actual flying myself but I have been on several military helicopter flights.
Pm me. I have a contact at the training school who has passed me a contact numer for you to contact him on.

Adamski

Midshipman
@Adamski Did you call Jay????
Yes, I called a couple of times but no answer so I emailed him.
He’s going to speak to his contacts in the Aircrew School as there have been exceptions but it depends on their need & demand. I’m being optimistic about it and if it’s a go, I’ll put the request in.
Thank you again for putting me in contact with him.

Waspie

War Hero
Yes, I called a couple of times but no answer so I emailed him.
He’s going to speak to his contacts in the Aircrew School as there have been exceptions but it depends on their need & demand. I’m being optimistic about it and if it’s a go, I’ll put the request in.
Thank you again for putting me in contact with him.
I'd be sorely tempted t apply now. Just to get the process moving. The longer you leave it the further from the upper age you get. However, I'm not aware of your circumstances so it's a decision only you can make. Good luck. Since you post, I have found there have been a few of us who have been allowed to go through at or past the upper age.
Keep us informed of your progress.

Last edited:

Adamski

Midshipman
I'd be sorely tempted t apply now. Just to get the process moving. The longer you laave it the further from the upper age you get. However, I'm not aware of your circumstances so it's a decision only you can make. Good luck. Since you post, I have found there have been a few of us who have been allowed to go through at or past the upper age.
Keep us informed of your progress.
That’s good to hear but I’m concerned that they allow people to join directly from Civvy Street now so there’s more competition.
However, I’ll remain optimistic and let you know how it goes.

Waspie

War Hero
That’s good to hear but I’m concerned that they allow people to join directly from Civvy Street now so there’s more competition.
However, I’ll remain optimistic and let you know how it goes.
I left in 92 and the threat of DE aircrewman was being discussed then. It's a result of a combination of getting the right people. Historically the Aircrewmans Branch has always been short. For example, in my day we should have had 350 aircrewman across the fleet. I seem to remember the actual number was about 280 so we were always short. That meant more deployments and less shore time.
I spent from 1979 when I qualified, (gained my wings), to 1991 on front line squadrons. I left in 92 as mentioned. So having DE aircrewman helps boost numbers and gives a better sea - shore ratio.
Just to add there're and has been always enough volunteers to branch change. The problems have been, passing the aircrew medical, highest failure rate. And passing the actual training, now about 2 years for pingers!!!

Adamski

Midshipman
They have recently upped the the bracket for Aircrew roles to 34
Sorry only just noticed your post.
Yes I re-read the BRd on branch changes and noticed it had changed.
Hopefully it’ll work out.

I left in 92 and the threat of DE aircrewman was being discussed then. It's a result of a combination of getting the right people. Historically the Aircrewmans Branch has always been short. For example, in my day we should have had 350 aircrewman across the fleet. I seem to remember the actual number was about 280 so we were always short. That meant more deployments and less shore time.
I spent from 1979 when I qualified, (gained my wings), to 1991 on front line squadrons. I left in 92 as mentioned. So having DE aircrewman helps boost numbers and gives a better sea - shore ratio.
Just to add there're and has been always enough volunteers to branch change. The problems have been, passing the aircrew medical, highest failure rate. And passing the actual training, now about 2 years for pingers!!!
I’ll see what Jay says and go from there. Hopefully there won’t be too long a wait but I imagine there will be.
I’ll have to put myself through an aircrew medical at work in preparation.

Waspie

War Hero
Sorry only just noticed your post.
Yes I re-read the BRd on branch changes and noticed it had changed.
Hopefully it’ll work out.

I’ll see what Jay says and go from there. Hopefully there won’t be too long a wait but I imagine there will be.
I’ll have to put myself through an aircrew medical at work in preparation.
You’ll still do a full aircrew medical after selection. By all means do one at work but you’ll be doubling up!! At least you’ll be aware of any problems.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T History Of The Aircrew Branch History 0
P What’s assessed on aircrew medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
O How bad is the Aircrew Pilot/Observer Qualification pipeline? Joining the Royal Navy 8
O Aircrew AIB - February 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 1
O Aircrew Medical - peripheral vision? The Fleet Air Arm 1
E Aircrew Asthma - 4 years clear? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS News story: Market Exploration: Innovation in Aircrew Protection MoD News 0
B Aircrew Medical Advice Joining the Royal Navy 6
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
P Aircrew at action stations The Fleet Air Arm 22
L AIB and aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H Waiting times for Aircrew Intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Aircrew Medical Blood Pressure Joining the Royal Navy 15
Pingerson 1970's FAA Aircrew Arctic Survival Training Film The Fleet Air Arm 1
W Aircrew - FATS Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Aircrew Roles and Asthma Joining the Royal Navy 3
S RN Aircrew Officer Observer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B Aircrew Medical - How many actually pass. The Fleet Air Arm 2
Debenham Aircrew officer pilot questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
H Royal Navy Aircrew Eyesight The Fleet Air Arm 2
M Aircrew Officer Observer role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
W Calling Meteor aircrew and ground crew The Fleet Air Arm 1
Sgt Jobsearch Business Development Manager (Aircrew Systems) - Letchworth - £70,000 + Bonus + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
B Accommodation for Officers (Pilots, Aircrew etc.)? The Fleet Air Arm 11
DemobJob Aircrew Escape & Survival Operations Coordinator - £630 per day The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Quiffy Aircrew Officer Pilot training The Fleet Air Arm 10
DemobJob Aircrew Flying Instructor - Wiltshire The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
A Sons Aircrew Medical Health & Fitness 1
Blake29 Royal Navy application : Aircrew Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
P Aircrew Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Ninja_Stoker Aircrew (Pilot/Obs) - Maximum age now 23 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R Final Selection for Aircrew (Pilot) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Any aircrew out there? The Fleet Air Arm 16
T RN/Commando Aircrew Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
S Helicopter Aircrew/SAR Divers The Fleet Air Arm 48
MoD_RSS Back from Libya naval aircrew prepare for Afghanistan Current Affairs 0
R aircrew officer pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
scouse FAA Aircrew Old and Bold Recruitment The Fleet Air Arm 0
R Aircrew Officer - Observer The Fleet Air Arm 2
R Chances of changing from Warfare GS to Aircrew? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Aircrew Medical: Gosport!?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
W Aircrew Warfare Course? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T What CAS really thinks of Fast Jet aircrew The Gash Barge 7
K Aviation Medical/aircrew medical The Fleet Air Arm 3
lewismansell Failed Aircrew Medical - Advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
A Average waiting time to go for aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
W Aircrew Medical Health & Fitness 2
R AIB Aircrew Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2