Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aircrew Asthma - 4 years clear?

Evloa

I would value some clarification on this. Having read all (relatively recent) available material on the forum regarding asthma & pilots, it appears there are 2 schools of thought;

1 - pilots & asthma are a no-go
2 - as long as there have been no symptoms within the past 4 years - you are fine.

I have read the following;

Publication AP1269A
4-D-1, Annex D -

It states,
--
3. In cases where the examining medical officer has concerns or the diagnosis is in doubt, guidance should be sought from the single-Service occupational physician responsible for recruiting. This includes where the PEFR result at selection examination is less than 80% of predicted, adjusted for age, gender, height and ethnicity.

4. Candidates with symptoms confined to age less than 5yrs of age82 , or a single episode of wheeze associated with an acute respiratory tract infection (during which bronchodilator / inhaled steroid treatment may have been prescribed) may be graded P2.

5. Candidates with a recorded history of asthma, with the following features, would be normally graded P8. a. Those who have experienced symptoms or taken, or been prescribed any form of treatment within the last 4 yrs. b. Those who have required more than one course of oral steroids 83 . c. Those who have required more than one nebulisation since the age of 5. d. Those who have had a single admission to Intensive care or high dependency, or multiple admissions to hospital.

(P8 Meaning Medically unfit for Service)
(PEFR = peak flow test)
--

Would this mean that someone who has had a record of asthma AS A CHILD would be barred from service, assuming all other aspects of their application have been passed?

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
I would talk to your local AFCO! They are ultimately qualified to obtain the current criteria for you rather than an unofficial service forum. This is your career not a recommendation on Big Macs!!!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
You have been given the only advice that can be given on this forum, contact the AFCO. Good luck.

Evloa

Managed to get in touch with the AFCO - they are of the opinion that the 4 year clear rule applies to aircrew. Although it is a contrary opinion to every response on this forum, that is what they said...

fishhead

War Hero
Managed to get in touch with the AFCO - they are of the opinion that the 4 year clear rule applies to aircrew. Although it is a contrary opinion to every response on this forum, that is what they said...
That's why you should ask the AFCO rather than hope some anonymous bods on a forum might know better.

Evloa

That's why you should ask the AFCO rather than hope some anonymous bods on a forum might know better.

Agreed fishhead! However from the perspective of a civilian punter ignorant to the rules, the 'anonymous bods' on this forum have been exceptionally helpful so far and I'm grateful :)

I'm just more curious as to the divergence of opinion. There are people here who know everything worth knowing and they're of a different mind to the AFCO? Who knows.

fishhead

War Hero
Agreed fishhead! However from the perspective of a civilian punter ignorant to the rules, the 'anonymous bods' on this forum have been exceptionally helpful so far and I'm grateful :)

I'm just more curious as to the divergence of opinion. There are people here who think they know everything worth knowing and they're of a different mind to the AFCO? Who knows.
Modified that for you.

Waspie

War Hero
What is it that this forum is an UNOFFICIAL forum you have the most difficulty with.
You were advised to go to the AFCO for the 'OFFICIAL' response!!
Glad I'm no longer flying if your going Pilot OR Observer!!!!

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Be fair @Waspie - looking to join up is a potentially life-changing event and I don't blame the youngsters for seeking to use every available means to research it. Especially if they are aware enough to know that what the recruitment propaganda says and what reality is can be quite different and they want to see if the differences are large or small. In fact, you can even commend aspirants coming here to do just that.

But as you and others have said - the advice given here will be contradictory for many reasons, not least of which is that some are now out and have been for some time so don't know the current situation, but their response may not reflect that. And it can of course be just plain wrong. Again, you wouldn't necessarily know, and if it were wrapped up in a way that made it look authoritative it could be damaging as a result.

@Evloa - The definitive answer for what the RN or RM is looking for and doing now will ALWAYS be the AFCO. They are the first point of contact for any queries regarding your recruitment. What you see on here may be interesting but it is not authoritative. Only those actually running the show have that privilege.

Good luck in your application.

Evloa

Be fair @Waspie - looking to join up is a potentially life-changing event and I don't blame the youngsters for seeking to use every available means to research it. Especially if they are aware enough to know that what the recruitment propaganda says and what reality is can be quite different and they want to see if the differences are large or small. In fact, you can even commend aspirants coming here to do just that.

But as you and others have said - the advice given here will be contradictory for many reasons, not least of which is that some are now out and have been for some time so don't know the current situation, but their response may not reflect that. And it can of course be just plain wrong. Again, you wouldn't necessarily know, and if it were wrapped up in a way that made it look authoritative it could be damaging as a result.

@Evloa - The definitive answer for what the RN or RM is looking for and doing now will ALWAYS be the AFCO. They are the first point of contact for any queries regarding your recruitment. What you see on here may be interesting but it is not authoritative. Only those actually running the show have that privilege.

Good luck in your application.

Much obliged, Dredd. Thanks!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Probably of no use to anyone but here is my story of joining the RN in 1960.

Setting the scene, I was attending a Grammar School and hated it, spoke to my Father who had served in the RN during the War and asked if I joined the RN could I leave school, He was quite happy and so it was.

I went to the recruiting office at Dorchester where I was seen by a much passed over Lieutenant who told me that I was to go back to school and come back qualified to look at Officer entry, He would listen to me (not the last time this happened to me in my Naval career) and kept telling me to remain in school. I left the AFCO.

My next attempt was at the Exeter recruiting office, an old chief (it might have been @Ninja-stoker) welcomed me and asked what I wanted to do, join the Navy says I, but what as came the question, until then I hadn't given any thought to different jobs. I took the entry exam and was recommended to go for Artificer, on finding out that there was a long apprenticeship I decided I wouldn't do that. Communications is the role for you then, right says I, do you want to be a Tactical Operator or a Wireless Operator says he quickly outlining the jobs. The main difference he says (He lied) is that a TO is out in the fresh air and an RO is in a warm office. So I became a sparker, My short skimmer time was mainly spent in the West Indies where I sweated my nuts off in the office. A large proportion of my Boats time was spent in the West Indies and the Far East. The short times that I spent as a Signalman in Boats was mostly in the WI and the FE so I suppose I had the best of both worlds.

Everyday was a learning day which sadly with the ease of instant questions and answers is not always the the case now a days. The only time I get annoyed with newbies questions is when they obviously haven't bothered to research through the site search facility.

I came out with no certificates that were of any use to me but found that the rounding in life that Pusser had given me was constantly of use during my subsequent 30 year Police career.

It's down to the individual what they get out of life.

11025899_617413211736535_2365750920609248922_o.jpg

My first day in the RN wearing a vest for probably the last time. I've not changed much.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Aircrew Roles and Asthma Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Science enables soldiers and aircrew to partner with smart machines on Salisbury Plain MoD News 0
M Aircraft controller aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil FB: Navy Wings - Aircrew Logbooks The Fleet Air Arm 2
P What’s assessed on aircrew medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
O How bad is the Aircrew Pilot/Observer Qualification pipeline? Joining the Royal Navy 8
A Aircrew branch transfer UPO/Careers Office 37
O Aircrew AIB - February 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 1
O Aircrew Medical - peripheral vision? The Fleet Air Arm 1
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS News story: Market Exploration: Innovation in Aircrew Protection MoD News 0
B Aircrew Medical Advice Joining the Royal Navy 6
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
P Aircrew at action stations The Fleet Air Arm 22
L AIB and aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H Waiting times for Aircrew Intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C Aircrew Medical Blood Pressure Joining the Royal Navy 15
Pingerson 1970's FAA Aircrew Arctic Survival Training Film The Fleet Air Arm 1
W Aircrew - FATS Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S RN Aircrew Officer Observer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
T History Of The Aircrew Branch History 0
B Aircrew Medical - How many actually pass. The Fleet Air Arm 2
Debenham Aircrew officer pilot questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
H Royal Navy Aircrew Eyesight The Fleet Air Arm 2
M Aircrew Officer Observer role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
W Calling Meteor aircrew and ground crew The Fleet Air Arm 1
Sgt Jobsearch Business Development Manager (Aircrew Systems) - Letchworth - £70,000 + Bonus + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
B Accommodation for Officers (Pilots, Aircrew etc.)? The Fleet Air Arm 11
DemobJob Aircrew Escape & Survival Operations Coordinator - £630 per day The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Quiffy Aircrew Officer Pilot training The Fleet Air Arm 10
DemobJob Aircrew Flying Instructor - Wiltshire The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
A Sons Aircrew Medical Health & Fitness 1
Blake29 Royal Navy application : Aircrew Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
P Aircrew Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Ninja_Stoker Aircrew (Pilot/Obs) - Maximum age now 23 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R Final Selection for Aircrew (Pilot) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Any aircrew out there? The Fleet Air Arm 16
T RN/Commando Aircrew Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
S Helicopter Aircrew/SAR Divers The Fleet Air Arm 48
MoD_RSS Back from Libya naval aircrew prepare for Afghanistan Current Affairs 0
R aircrew officer pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
scouse FAA Aircrew Old and Bold Recruitment The Fleet Air Arm 0
R Aircrew Officer - Observer The Fleet Air Arm 2
R Chances of changing from Warfare GS to Aircrew? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Aircrew Medical: Gosport!?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
W Aircrew Warfare Course? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T What CAS really thinks of Fast Jet aircrew The Gash Barge 7
K Aviation Medical/aircrew medical The Fleet Air Arm 3
lewismansell Failed Aircrew Medical - Advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25