Midshipman
Joined in 79

did Whirlwind and Wessex 3 in training
702 lynx (80)
707 wessex 5's (81)
AMG (Everything)
707 Wessex 5,s and Sea King 4's (84)
Heron Flight, Herons Devon, Sea Fire and Chipmunks
899 and 801 Sea Harriers Frs 1 and T4 (87-92)
772 Mk 4 Sea Kings (92-94)

Left in 94 and after 3 years in the plod went Contracting

Strikemasters, mushaks, Hawk and Bravo (oman)
King Air 100 and 200 (Plymouth Airport)
Lightnings
HS125 Germany
Hawker 800 Germany
Learjet 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 (Aero Dienst Germany)
Boing 737, 747, 757, 767, 777 (Worldwide)
SK64 (Bond Helicopters)
Airbus 319, 320
MD11, MD83, MD84
DC3, DC4 AND LC11 (Coventry airport)
Now an Aircraft Designer / Buisness Manager for BAE Systems on Hawk

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Airfix.
Matchbox.
Balsa wood.
Some Japanese cheap labels which I can't remember.

Oh yeah, I once offered to change a lightbulb in a lynx cause I couldn't stand the thought of eight Woo's having to muster to complete the task.

SF

fido

MIA
SILVER_FOX said:
Airfix.
Matchbox.
Balsa wood.
Some Japanese cheap labels which I can't remember.

Oh yeah, I once offered to change a lightbulb in a lynx cause I couldn't stand the thought of eight Woo's having to muster to complete the task.

SF
I've said it a billion, trillion, quadrillion times - "don't exaggerate" Two or three I will accept: this is to ensure the proper level of supervision and quality assurance - a well founded principle in aircraft maintenance and something in which the FAA leads the rest.

fido

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
fido said:
SILVER_FOX said:
SF
Two or three I will accept: this is to ensure the proper level of supervision and quality assurance
So the other five were obviously there to provide back up support:

Person A to review the quality manual agains the practices adopted by the working party to ensure that it remains extant;

Person B to draft a change request to the QM to bring it into line with current front-line practices;

Person C to review the work of Persons A & B;

Person D to approve the change request and delegate the work to...

Person E to make all necessary changes to the Quality Manual.

:)

fido

MIA
FlagWagger said:
fido said:
SILVER_FOX said:
SF
Two or three I will accept: this is to ensure the proper level of supervision and quality assurance

Person A to review the quality manual agains the practices adopted by the working party to ensure that it remains extant;

Person B to draft a change request to the QM to bring it into line with current front-line practices;

Flags (I'm assuming you have a comms background),

Get a life, why don't you? Time was (circa '57 when I was a young AB) Comms blokes could hoist signals, wallop out morse or light signals and prided themselves in their ability to communicate clearly and quickly - you are clearly of the new breed and can do neither. It's tough, I know, but modern technology requires supervison, experience and technical know how. Ask a Comms Tech if you doubt me.

fido

MIA
FlagWagger said:
fido said:
SILVER_FOX said:
SF

Flags,

By the way, are Canadians still the poor relations of the USA?

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
fido said:
Flags,

By the way, are Canadians still the poor relations of the USA?
Not that I've noticed - they're very keen to assert their own national identity and maintain a distinction between themselves and the septics. A good example of this is on corporate branding - the McDonalds arches in Canada have a small Maple Leaf to distinguish the operation from the Uncle Sam version, and in a similar vein, Sears in Canada has some subtle differences to Sears US. The attitudes of the people here are also far less arrogant than some of those espoused by Americans, and being a small country (population wise anyway) there seems to be a healthy willingness to travel and be flexible.

I've also noticed that Canadians have a great sense of humour (and they spell correctly too!) and are not averse to laughing at themselves (which other country could call one of its coins a Loonie and then put signs all over the place saying "Loonies only"?). I was quite amused by a t-shirt on sale over the summer (before the world started turning red last week) which defined a Canadian as "an unarmed American with healthcare" :)

One's I worked on are:-

Wessex at Daedalus
Sea King 5's
Sea King 2's
Canberra T17, T17A, B2, T4, TT18
Sea Harrier FA2/T8
Harrier GR7/T10
Harrier GR9

Best ever was the mighty Canberra, god rest its soul!!!

YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCE WHEN YOU CHOOSE YOUR BRANCH

Skate_II

Midshipman
You boys are much, much too modern for me - how about my CV?

Sea Hornet
Westland Wyvern (813 Sqdn)

and on loan service to RAN :-

Sea Fury
Seafire
Sea Venom

Apart from the last one, they all had twiddly bits at the front going round & round making a lot of noise. Ah well.
Chocks away boys.

Skate mate,
You stirred these old cogs and gears. 39th Entry Halton (FAA), after passing out in Oct 40 (Panic panic) were kept on to do a 2 week Swordfish course.
Over future months we all got to know the Stringbag, ashore & afloat.

In early '45 I was an AA4 at Worthy, hoping to cling to this safe job until nasty days ended. One day the 'Seniors' round the tot table said, 'Guess who's got an Admiralty Draft? And has to do a Swordfish course too?'
(That's how we got our draft notices in those days).
That last part gave me strength to give a brave guffaw, 'Your kidding.'
Gulping my sippers, 'No we're not'.

Needless to say Stringbag courses had finshed years before. So I did a Griffon course - then landed on Campania as AA4 of a Wildcat fighter flight - with zero experience of Yankee A/c.
(Good ol' Admiralty).
Como

noggie

MIA
Yes box of trix is going to Bardufoss along with 845 and 847, more and more Crab and Pongo aircraft using the place. Must have been there when kinky_pillik was rebuilding VS after the CO bent it, was in the same tent as the Pat Garret the Arctic Barker, helped steal the replacement tail from the downed pinglie :)
Remember Tretten well, also Hauerseter when we kept the cabs at Gardermoen. 3VO = 1BC

Hello. Newby greybeard here....

In order:

Vampire
Venom
Sea Hawk
Sea Vixen
Wessex
Buccaneer
Wasp

Avoided Whirlwinds, Gannets, Scimitars, and just missed Harriers.

1962-9

Yeovilton
Victorious
Lossiemouth
Portland/Ashanti (never made it to sea)

Spent most of my life since then trucking.... which was much more fun until about ten years ago when tracking trucking came in.

sulzer

Lantern Swinger
Aircraft Types: Westland Wyvern, Sea Hawk, Firefly, Vampire, Anson, Dragonfly, Wasp, Wessex Has 1 and HU5.as a ivlian Seaking, Gnat, Mig 21

Piran

Midshipman
Here's mine, just like penis siz; longer than some shorter than others ;)

Not counting Deadalus/Sultan
Mk2 SK 849'A'
Mk5 SK 771
Mk6 SK 810
All at Culdrose
FA2/T8 899
Yeovilton
GR7/9/10 1(F), 800/801
Cottesmore
Does pushing 1(F)'s Spitfire around the hanger count? :)

chockhead819

War Hero
as a chockhead does moving
Wasp
Wessex
seaking asw/junglie
lynx
SHar
Devon
Heron
Phantom
Tornado
Jet Provost
T-33
Puma
Jaguar
Lightening
did these jobs cab wipes,corrosion work & comp washes on seakings at prestwick,spreading rotors on Lynx & filling shar with demin count as well?

jungle_jim

Lantern Swinger
flippin heck cockhead 819 good for you, you cannot even get a wedge tech to move cabs now without moaning let alone help with corr ops and cap wipes (not all but a lot moan)

chockhead819

War Hero
Its one of the reasons I had a fallout with fido on invincible. I joined 819 squadron & became part of that unit, My first job was on the corrosion team, i had to do the non skid on the sponsons & ebds with a killick greenie, I then went on the line were i learned brakes, how to refuel, when putting them to bed we did a comp wash & px24 wipe & because Prestwick was Major Diversion airfield we got lots of RAF/USAF/USN aircraft in for we had to learn how to refuel the planes because the line crew usually consisted of me(td) line po & 700 l/h.

I then joined 702/815 & again learned what switches I need for locks, as line crew you learned the folding/refuelling etc. This was usefull in the falklands as we got sheffields lynx, I was the only one who knew how to move & refuel the thing that included the grubers etc from AED.
If you look at my website you'll see i broke a lynx twice with the same bloke, the first occasion was because he assumed I had done my normal fitting the towing arm & fitting the nose wheel castor pin, he didnt check properly & said its got no flag on, f**k me those nose wheels dont half bang when they get ripped out!!

Then again on 801 it saved time on the line by jumping on the wing & filling demin & the quicker you got the cabs to bed the quicker you secured!
I think because I learned how a squadron operated first rather than be straight onto the flight deck I did more things that i in theory shouldn't have done but you got the idea of priorities ie the whole point of having a carrier is to operate aircraft if the aircraft are down they need to be fixed asap.

As i said I had a fallout with fido because i had took the lift down on invincible to get a harrier engine moved from AED to the SHAR, fido kept telling me to bring the lift up but i refused until the engine had been moved over, We exchanged a few words over it.

I could never understand the attitude of senior rate AHs especially when on more than one occasion I had to do brakes on Hermes because the squadron hadn't turned to, Why did no one learn the basics like brakes?

In my 10 years i did 4 years on 819, 2 years on 702/815/VL NASU, 1 YEAR ON 801/Invincible & 1 year on Portland tractors & 1 year on Hermes.

chieftiff

War Hero
chockhead819 said:
Its one of the reasons I had a fallout with fido on invincible. I joined 819 squadron & became part of that unit, My first job was on the corrosion team, i had to do the non skid on the sponsons & ebds with a killick greenie, I then went on the line were i learned brakes, how to refuel, when putting them to bed we did a comp wash & px24 wipe & because Prestwick was Major Diversion airfield we got lots of RAF/USAF/USN aircraft in for we had to learn how to refuel the planes because the line crew usually consisted of me(td) line po & 700 l/h.

I then joined 702/815 & again learned what switches I need for locks, as line crew you learned the folding/refuelling etc. This was usefull in the falklands as we got sheffields lynx, I was the only one who knew how to move & refuel the thing that included the grubers etc from AED

Then again on 801 it saved time by jumping on the wing & filling demin.
I think because I learned how a squadron operated first rather than be straight onto the flight deck I did more things that i in theory shouldn't have done but you got the idea of priorities ie the whole point of having a carrier is to operate aircraft if the aircraft are down they need to be fixed asap.

As i said I had a fallout with fido because i had took the lift down on invincible to get a harrier engine moved from AED to the SHAR, fido kept telling me to bring the lift up but i refused until the engine had been moved over, We exchanged a few words but didnt fall out over it.

I could never understand the attitude of senior rate AHs especially when on more than one occasion I had to do brakes on Hermes because the squadron hadn't turned to, Why did no one learn the basics like brakes?

In my 10 years i did 4 years on 819, 2 years on 702/815/VL NASU, 1 YEAR ON 801/Invincible & 1 year on Portland tractors & 1 year on Hermes.
It's a pity many others don't think like you mate, a lot of people around nowadays who are "just doing my job" they all seem to forget the aim of that job. Sorry to say chockheads are by far the worst, occasionally a decent one comes along and gets slagged of by his fello chock suedes. Most are of the opinion "can't touch that dirty chain lashing, I'd rather stand here and be obstructive" Things have changed a lot in my 24 years and that's good, when the change is for the bad and driven by Senior Rates well that's just poor! (I shall stand by for flack but to be honest I couldn't give a sh*t, it's the truth)

chockhead819

War Hero
mind you that was in the good old days of the 80s, I only went outside because drafty pissed me off by sending me to portland after cancelling a draft to Prestwick again!

off_les_aura

War Hero
"Had a line PO Joe Thompson who was a PO (O) IN THE 80s." He must have been one of the very last of that breed
A CPOAEM(O) called Swampy Marsh was still at Yeovilton in the Mid '90's. I beleive he was the very last when he retired.

Latest Threads