Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Aircraft Handler

Hi Roof rat . that knuckle dragger wedge was just to stir it :lol: :lol:

Was on the Hermes second commission and had some good pals in the handlers division .

Real fixed wing and helo operations with Scimitars ,Vixens Wessex and two SAR Whirlwinds .
Had AEW Gannets aswell. Flying stations was a busy deck--really.

One handler got chopped up one time walked into a Gannet prop while doing chockman.
Aircraft losses and write offs were unbelievable ------

Greenie,I know mate :lol: No offence taken, and I hope none given?
Nothing like a Class "A" carrier flight deck for excitement, I worked with all of those a/c you mentioned.
You know, whenever anyone decries any of our branches, they should remember that, the R.N is the only Service that takes every one to the battle front, from Admirals right through laundrymen.
There's no rear echelon on a warship!
Rule Britania

RoofRat said:
Clanky, what a super Senior rate you must have been. A true leader !

Bernie, read what was written. I said that, "No Handlers changed branches to Stoker. But lots of stokers changed over to Handler."
Many Handlers have changed branches, but stayed within the Airman branch, which at least during my service, Phot was part of. Along with Met, and SE. Many also went Aircrew.

Actually Flash, I still am!

clanky said:
RoofRat said:
Clanky, what a super Senior rate you must have been. A true leader !

Bernie, read what was written. I said that, "No Handlers changed branches to Stoker. But lots of stokers changed over to Handler."
Many Handlers have changed branches, but stayed within the Airman branch, which at least during my service, Phot was part of. Along with Met, and SE. Many also went Aircrew.

Actually Flash, I still am!

What?Still a senior rate or a true leader.its not allowed to be both,dont be greedy. :)

Hey LifeboatBod, we may have met! I'm an ex -handler (and a 'softie' for a short while)and have just departed from HAL AFS after nearly 20 years service. My ten years in the FAA did for me as it did for you.. it opened doors to a job that gave me an average yearly wage of 50K. I've loved being a Handler and a firefighter and even a BAA Manager!

Thrunger, good man.
We must have met? Flight Decks and Fire crews most of my career. 60's,70's,early 80's?
As for the merits of being a Handler,I rest my case.
As Roy Neate used to say,"There are no ugly Handlers, just ugly mirrors."
RoofRat

When I served in HMS Ark Royal 1975 to 1976 we used to manage to launch 3 aircraft in the same time it took the Nimitze to launch 2. They had three catapults we had two. We could also recover aircraft faster than they could.
We all like to take the piss out of the chockheads but to do the above took a lot of skill

slim said:
When I served in HMS Ark Royal 1975 to 1976 we used to manage to launch 3 aircraft in the same time it took the Nimitze to launch 2. They had three catapults we had two. We could also recover aircraft faster than they could.
We all like to take the piss out of the chockheads but to do the above took a lot of skill

Ah-ha - Lt Cdr Frank Wilson was FDO and Lt Paddy (Downhill) Dowser was
FDO 2. FDO 4 was S/Lt Roger Bigden. Lt Cdr Keith (Kron) Ronaldson relieved Frank and I joined as AFDO at the same time - we kept up the cracking pace set by our predecessors right through until paying off in '78. It must be said, however, that thelaunch/recovery cycle speed was a team effort and credit must be given to Lt Cdr Peter ("I'm waiting for a green wind") Shepperd (Lt Cdr(f)) and the brilliant Badgers led by Lt Cdr Peter Ritchie. 'Wings' was Cdr (now Admiral, Sir Michael) Layard - an outstanding combination.

Chockheeed.

Nice job in the sun when they are not flying but the flight deck is still out of bounds and they get to sun bathe and play cricket.

Not so fun in the Faroes Iceland gap in a force 7 with sleet coming down horizontally and they are sat on their "open to the elements" tractors waiting for aircraft to land.

Fun when you are driving the Skippers Jaguar around. Not so fun when you have to be duty driver in the tilly to do foriegn airport runs while your oppos are on the lash.

Promotion is none too speedy either.

You enters the careers office, you picks your branch, you takes your chance

you know I think I must be a closet chock head..... all this talk, if (sorry when!) we do get our shiny new carrier I think I'd like to give that a go with either of the options for fixed wing flights off the deck.... saw a typhoon up close and personal at Navy Days this year, if they ever flew those off the deck I'd be there just for the noise, mmmmmm oooooops sorry got carried away there :oops:

fishmiester said:
Chockheeed.

Nice job in the sun when they are not flying but the flight deck is still out of bounds and they get to sun bathe and play cricket.

Not so fun in the Faroes Iceland gap in a force 7 with sleet coming down horizontally and they are sat on their "open to the elements" tractors waiting for aircraft to land.

Fun when you are driving the Skippers Jaguar around. Not so fun when you have to be duty driver in the tilly to do foriegn airport runs while your oppos are on the lash.

Promotion is none too speedy either.

You enters the careers office, you picks your branch, you takes your chance

Abso - bloody- lutely. And don't forget all that flight deck maintenance (chipping and painting) when in harbour when the fish heads/RPs/Comms/Pussers et al (stand fast the Cooks/Stewards who always got seen off) alongside shoved off. I haven't yet forgotten one of my Flight Deck Party (no names but I'll call him 'NA H' who spray painted 'BOLLOCKS' in ten foot red lead high letters over the round down in INVINCIBLE in Wallamoo Dockyard (Sydney) in '83 - it could be seen for miles away - he was my top NA(AH)!

hadnt heard that one FIDO Who was it?

On hermes 81-82, we had a competition who could get the tractor the furthest down the round down on 9 spot, Taff Jones won, he had it in the safety net they had to get the crane to bring it back on deck!

Does anyone know where that infamous loafer Brian Pierce (NA AH) now hangs out? The last I heard of him he was masquerading as a member of the Air Ops team at Yeovilton

chockhead819 said:
hadnt heard that one FIDO Who was it?

On hermes 81-82, we had a competition who could get the tractor the furthest down the round down on 9 spot, Taff Jones won, he had it in the safety net they had to get the crane to bring it back on deck!

Can't tell - I was FDO and I spotted it at 0730 from a room on the 14th floor of a hotel in Sydney where I had the fortune of spending the night with the organiser of the Blue Cross nurses annual Christmas party - 'nuff said! A clue, however, he was a member of my Naval party in MV Astronomer in 1982 and took great delight in hiding my pipe!

Talking of tractors, does anyone remember NA Vickers - in Ark in (I think 1977), he drove a tractor off the flight deck whilst off Barcelona into the deep six. I should have known better, he was in my division at Culdrose earlier and had an interesting history.

wasn't a geordie Stan St......d? by any chance, was the the same NA Vickers who decided to make his light racing bike lighter by drilling holes in it??

Latest Threads