Aircraft handler recruitment

Blossomtrumpet

Midshipman
Hi there

I was just looking to see if there was any up to date information on life as an aircraft handler and if they still do have limited intakes per year. I am in the process of recruitment at the moment just wondering if anyone else is applying for this job and how far in the process they are too?
Thanks

Chris P

War Hero
Chockheads....................where would the jet jockeys and heli heroes be without them, exciting in the old days and should still be, but can't comment on the now - my time was 50 years ago:rolleyes: fings was a lot different then..

Core

Midshipman
Hi there
I've applied for the same role. Does anyone know how many intakes they have these year and if they've been filled up yet? What's the waiting time at the moment?

Cheers

True dit, had a chockhead as my runner on 899, he was sent to Nelson on a driving course. On arrival at Nelson he went in the Guardroom and asked where he could find Mr Block? The QM took a look at his Joining Instructions and it said, report to Rodney Block.

Same chockhead was taking a signal to the comcen in the Squadron Tilly, off he went and came back a hour later, asked if the signal went off ok? he had forgotton and had been to the Fire Station for a brew (it was still sat on the passenger seat!!!)

Not the sharpest tools in the box.....

MrsDaPops

Hi there
I've applied for the same role. Does anyone know how many intakes they have these year and if they've been filled up yet? What's the waiting time at the moment?

Cheers
Currently moving (slowly) through the recruitment process here; AFCO says March 2022 is earliest next intake. September 2021 course is already full and they only take in twice a year at the moment.

MrsDaPops

Only started the application process about 6 weeks ago! Eye sight test scheduled for this week followed by medical questionnaire… haven’t got interview date yet but working through the fitness plan while I wait.

Core

Midshipman
Only started the application process about 6 weeks ago! Eye sight test scheduled for this week followed by medical questionnaire… haven’t got interview date yet but working through the fitness plan while I wait.
13 months sounds about right. It used to be a 2 up to 3 year wait. Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Chockheads....................where would the jet jockeys and heli heroes be without them, exciting in the old days and should still be, but can't comment on the now - my time was 50 years ago:rolleyes: fings was a lot different then..
The air mechanics would do it like we do ashore :) Cant find a chockhead for love nor money when an aircraft needs moving on an air station. Also don't have them on small ships.

OK, Carriers are a different beast but chockheads do have an over inflated image of themselves, bit like the RAF regiment.... :)

Latest Threads