Aircraft handler question

Garry17

Midshipman
Thanks again Nostrinian that is great information, yeah i definitely dont mind studying, especially for something that i would like to do. Im glad thier are opportunities to go out to sea. I understand AET's do the fixing but will NA(AH) get anything to do even like a basic check or anything? Thanks.

chockhead819

War Hero
You will find that a lot of AHs who have left the RN are employed as firefighters at the airports, personally I knew guys at Newcastle, exeter, bristol, heathrow & manchester.

Nostrinian

Badgeman
Garry - Aircraft Maintainence no and rightly so, a different trade and task altogether. On a flight deck Handlers are working with marshalling, driving, operating flight deck lifts. The only maintenance done there will be pretty basic simple stuff like safety nets, changing stuff about, painting and general husbandry (pretty unskilled).
Maintainers are qualified to work on aircraft, we never ever repair them.
Pay levels.
Also remember that all pay in the RN is graded and banded. Many years ago now it split to upper and lower. Handlers are lower so you will receive significantly less pay than some other lads.But then again you could strongly argue that as a skilled maintainer you should get more anyway.
Dont get me started on all that anyway because its a can of worms.(!!).
Dont aim low mate always aim high. Ive really enjoyed my time as a Handler, it is a very close knit branch, a true band of brothers. But if you are able and well qualified you can earn alot more as Aircrew :ufo: or a maintainer :threaten: in the FAA - if that floats your boat.

Sentenashi

War Hero
Nost, how are the Aircrew about rank etc?

Do the Pilots/observers insist on you calling them sir/ma'am?

Are they part of the band of brothers that you talk about?

chockhead819

War Hero
don't know what its like now

Depending on the officer if you play in a team they will normally give you a bit of leeway by calling them by their name or nickname. I played cricket at Gannet & we had 4 officers in the team who were happy to be called by their first name but using their name at work was a no no.

Nostrinian

Badgeman
No first name terms and rightly so. Other than organized pub runs I never mix with officers anyway - not because I dont like them far from it. I simply feel more at ease and on the right social and professional level with other AHs. The branch for all its troubles and prevails is the common bind. Ive noticed as I get older and even more miserable I only socialize with other senior ratings and occasionally AH Association members (!!).

Everyone in the FAA is in a little tribe, our tribe being the Handlers.
Strictly my observation and my opinion.

slim

War Hero
Nostrinian said:
No first name terms and rightly so. Other than organized pub runs I never mix with officers anyway - not because I dont like them far from it. I simply feel more at ease and on the right social and professional level with other AHs. The branch for all its troubles and prevails is the common bind. Ive noticed as I get older and even more miserable I only socialize with other senior ratings and occasionally AH Association members (!!).

Everyone in the FAA is in a little tribe, our tribe being the Handlers.
Strictly my observation and my opinion.

Handlers and Bombheads were the two most tightly knit branches in the FAA. Now that Bombheads are no more it's don to the Handlers to retain the tradition.
I was a pinkie, it was a great branch but certainly lacked the camaraderie of handlers and bombheads

Garry17

Midshipman
i would really like to go into as an aircraft handler, so is a maintainer different? are AH's looked down on because they might be "un-skilled" thanks m8 for the answers.

slim

War Hero
Garry17 said:
i would really like to go into as an aircraft handler, so is a maintainer different? are AH's looked down on because they might be "un-skilled" thanks m8 for the answers.

Well in the 60s and 70s we maintainers used to take the piss out of chockheads, however it was all banter. In the FAA you are a team, personally I would hate moving and controlling aircraft on a carriers deck. There is a great deal of skill involved. In the 70s the old Arl Royal could launch three aircraft in the same time as the Nomitze launched two. As an aside the Nimitze had three catapults, the Ark two.
Now how could you possibly call that unskilled?

chockhead819

War Hero
AH Association members !! what have i done now, except tell princess anne that her brother wasn't shagging sheep in stanley when hiding behind a bush in 82 :)

even in the branch there sometime are different attitude, i always found my attitude totally different to the fire station/flight deck only handlers.

This was simply down to the fact that you had a better idea of what goes on with aircraft & did things like refuelling & compressor washes on seakings,topping up the demin water on harriers,folding rotors on lynx & corrosion work when i was a spare hand on the squadron.

This also comes in handy while at sea i learned how to use the brakes etc 824 didn't turn up to get the cabs ready so i ended up as brake number & also when sheffields lynx arrived on hermes down south i was the only one onboard including AED that knew anything about the lynx.

The jist of this is don't be afraid to ask questions about aircraft it could come in useful one day.

I did 6 months on buffers at culdrose, 5 years on 819, 1 year nasu at yeovil, 6 months fire station at faslane, 1 year on hermes & 1 year on 801/invincible & a year at portland, so i only ever did 6 months out of trade the rest was driving tractors & thats why my knees are duff

The branch assoc is brilliant for contacting old mates 2 years ago we had a get together in carlisle & the majority i hadn't seen for 25 years. Even facebook has an AH group look for chockheads or team nostris