Aircraft Handler Pay/ typical working week hours etc?

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
I know there will not be set hours or set days in the Navy, but I am trying to gather as much info as I can as I am taking a big pay cut joining as a Handler and really want to find out a bit more. Is it just the £18,000 a year until promoted how ever many years later? Can you train for tickets and qualifications a long side your chosen trade? E.g machine tickets telehandler, bobcat forklift etc? Or other useful courses/ tickets? Worrying from different threads saying I may only leave with a hgv license and not much else. I am staying positive and looking forward to getting stuck into the firefighting side which attracts me the most to the job. For me that's my dream job for something I would enjoy as a career. This is why I don't mind dropping my salary for a while as long as I can progress and get it back up in time.
Also hoping for some good travel overseas. Hoping to hear from a handler or anyone with good info. Any info appreciated.
Cheers!

Why are your worrying about leaving already? There are some good drafts for handlers, my best man spent two years out in Holland at a NATO Fire Station (I believe the draft is still open).

If the fire fighting element attracts you then you might be disappointed. While you will do fire fighting training, the reality is that (thankfully) there are not many fires on board ships/aircraft carriers. However you are trained to deal with it if it happens. Try the Fire Service if you want to be a fire fighter.

If the fire fighting element attracts you then you might be disappointed. While you will do fire fighting training, the reality is that (thankfully) there are not many fires on board ships/aircraft carriers. However you are trained to deal with it if it happens. Try the Fire Service if you want to be a fire fighter.
Or a chef ("the smell of burning is coming from the galley", often heard on boats)

Standing by for incoming :)