Aircraft Handler / Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 241mxrider, Jul 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. apoligies in advance if Im repeating something already posted.. :oops:

My first post...Im a newbie!

Im thinking of applying for the Navy and becoming a Aircraft Handler, Im currently 28 years old, married, with a wonderful daughter.

Ive a few bullet point questions which Ive noted below which maybe someone could answer

* How many times and for how long are you likely to be at sea throughout the year?

* whats phase 2 training like at Culdrose?

* What sort of things can a handler be expected to do?

* Would it be either Culdrose or Yevoilton I would be based at or are there others

* Is it an easy process to sort out married quarters?

If anyone can provide more info on this role or provide a contact which I could email then that would be great!

Many thanks!

2. You have your own web site, http://www.chockheads.org.uk/?page_id=1489 and their is loads of info on here, go to Search :wink: Since the decline of Aircraft Carriers in the FAA. Chockheads do not get much sea time in :lol: :lol:

3. Oh right, I though they would be at sea quite a bit... not that Im too worried though, shore based is fine..

4. search under reggies runner!!

Loads of info there. :)

5. I'm not a Wafu but I'll try and answer some of the questions

* How many times and for how long are you likely to be at sea throughout the year?

Unfortunately no diffinitive answer. As there is many factors which will decide this.

* whats phase 2 training like at Culdrose?

I don't know what the Phase 2 is like but I've been based in the Ops room in the tower in the past there, I liked Culdrose even more so as it was on my own door step pretty much.

* What sort of things can a handler be expected to do?

Don't know much about the job, but they handle aircraft and do fire fighting duties on the airbases :lol:

* Would it be either Culdrose or Yevoilton I would be based at or are there others

That's pretty much your choices I'm afraid I'm not sure if there are many up in Jockland.

* Is it an easy process to sort out married quarters?

The process is pretty painless enough. There maybe a waiting period but otherwise if your serving and married you are eligable.

6. Thanks for the info Tommo!

Hopefully going to see the careers people in Exeter next week so should find out more then.

Like I said previously, If there are any serving Handlers on here and dont mind me asking them a few questions then I would be very grateful..

7. phase 2 training - this is your trade training, you will learn all about moving aircraft on the dummy deck,then you learn about fire fighting, vehicles, BA etc. You do actually learn to put fires out at the college of knowledge & preddananic(?)
    Sea time - don't know as I left in 87.
    if you want a bit of action 845/846 sqdn at yeovilton is the best option, coz they go to sandy places at present.

Yeovil & Culdrose are the only options.

8. There are wedge techs at Cott/Witt in the fire station :D

9. Went to a Navy presentation last night... they told me the waiting time for this role is 3 years! Only stated 14 months on here so pretty gutted..

10. Don't worry I am half way through my 2 year wait it's annoying but worth it in the end. In the meantime you can build your fitness up, save some money and hang around here like a bad smell.

11. Practice your volleyball, polishing vehicles and putting out practice fires.

Oh and picking up the mail. :D