Aircraft Handler able to train for green lid?

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Trying to gather some info I've heard mixed things on this. Would I be able to train for the green beret once trained in the AH branch? And possibly work on operations with the RM's? Just thinking of ways to challenge myself and get more excitement/ travel in the job.
I am use to very physical work doing groundworks/ bricklaying and was told the AH's do a lot of physical work firefighting training/ fitness on the bases so this attracted me.. but now I am told there's barely any firefighting duties and it's all Aircraft handling/ movements. I know that is in the 'job title' but I'm hoping I can still get stuck in with firefighting practice in the Fleet Air Arm? Otherwise I'm considering changing roles to something with a bit more variety/ opportunities.
Would be great to hear from any handlers to perk the situation up :(;) I've heard nothing but negative comments about handler prospects lately and it's worrying me to death to be honest. I have until September to decide so I really hope it's the right choice.
Help me haha

miffster23

Badgeman
I heard the same but each job will have shit I'm still going ahead i join in 30 days or so

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
It's something I'm seriously considering, I would be happy as a Handler if the firefighting aspect is still there but if it is not then I might look at going down another route. I'm told I can gain any other qualifications / tickets on the side which don't have to relate to AH branch so this is keeping me at bay at the min so at least there's back up options? Obviously I just want to know I'm making the right choice it's a big thing I've waited along time I hope it's the right choice

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Ok maybe not then, it's something my AFCO mentioned but he weren't 100% sure if they still do this.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
If the Handlers don't qualify in Firefighting NVQ's or do a great deal of it any more then I may look into rather the Marines or another role. Was hoping it was more of an Airport Firefighter sort of role from what I'd heard at the beginning. But now I'm not so sure from hearing different things. Having a good search tonight

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst I'm acquainted with a couple of NA(AH)'s with a green beret, the odds of undergoing AACC nowadays are remote to unlikely. Not sure how physical it is sitting on one's arse in an air station fire station but that depends more on the individual than the day to day 'rigours' of the job.

As stated here, and many times previously, if you want to be a Commando, join as a Royal Marine as it's the only certain route...if you complete training.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
The Marines is looking more valuable for transferable skills compared to AH, for when I decide to leave. If there's no firefighting qualifications I don't just want to just gain a HGV license and that's it.
Can anyone actually confirm if I would be doing firefighting duties and gaining quals please?
Really need to know if possible as that was the whole point of me choosing the job.
Cheers

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
I have passed everything but just waiting on vetting and PRNC. So really would appreciate some more info on it.
Cheers

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would suggest that you go back to your AFCO and check what branches your RT pass qualified you for if you didn't get a high pass your options are limited.

The Marines is looking more valuable for transferable skills compared to AH, for when I decide to leave. If there's no firefighting qualifications I don't just want to just gain a HGV license and that's it.
Can anyone actually confirm if I would be doing firefighting duties and gaining quals please?
Really need to know if possible as that was the whole point of me choosing the job.
Cheers
Not sure if chockheads get a civvy fire fighting qual?

I work at an smallish airport and my office is above the Fire Station, speaking to the fire chief the other day and he said he'd rather not employ ex forces as he has to "train" them up and then they leave for the big airports. So the fact he has to train them up speaks volumes.

Sumo

War Hero
Not sure if chockheads get a civvy fire fighting qual?

I work at an smallish airport and my office is above the Fire Station, speaking to the fire chief the other day and he said he'd rather not employ ex forces as he has to "train" them up and then they leave for the big airports. So the fact he has to train them up speaks volumes.
There ex WAFU's he has to train them to work:)

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
My AFCO said I got a pretty good score but didn't say what for he just asked me what other roles I had in mind? Might give him a call today then. Thanks well that's another thing I've been told a number of times that I would struggle to get employed as a civvie firefighter, the main dream for me was in the future to migrate back to Aus or NZ with the quals and experience, would you say that would not be doable from the AH training? If not then I'll look at other options seriously.
Running out of time so hopefully will make the right choice.
Cheers for replies appreciate it

dapperdunn

War Hero
Cheers
Why don't you just join the Fire Service?

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
I am on with my application for West Yorkshire Fire Service and have passed the first online assessments, only problem is they are taking on 100 recruits and expecting 10,000+ applicants.. so not as easy as just join them.
Fingers crossed but I'm keeping all my options open. Another thing worrying me is being stuck on low pay and for years then not having much to bring out with me. Different handlers will have different opinions on the job but I spoke to one last week and he couldn't wait to leave.
Scared the death out of me to be honest from his point of view.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Also the fire service only seem to recruit every 10 years or so these days, so it's hard.
Was hoping to do it in the Navy instead and possibly get to Aus or NZ in the future.
That was the plan..