Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Aircraft Controller.

Do they still go to Shawbury to experience how the crabs live in their holiday camps?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

If you choose to attend Joint Air Traffic Control Course to become a proper Air Tragic type yes. Shawbury rules, it has the greatest SRs mess barman in the universe. Good old Tony.

I was merely an AB. But they still waited on us, which was nice.

Sadly the NATAC course for the ABs is now held at Yeovilton rather than Shawbury so has lost absolutely all of it's allure. One of the best weeks I've ever had in the RN that was.

Thanks!, just to clarify the two-week Aircraft Controller grading is after the ten weeks basic training at HMS Raleigh? and could you tell me how aptitude is tested? also when you say 'RT' is that prior to the selection interview or another test specifically for Aircraft Controllers?

The RT is the psychometric test you do at the start of the application process.

Thanks!, just to clarify the two-week Aircraft Controller grading is after the ten weeks basic training at HMS Raleigh? and could you tell me how aptitude is tested? also when you say 'RT' is that prior to the selection interview or another test specifically for Aircraft Controllers?

Yes, it's after basic.

Aptitude is tested by scenario based practical exercises. I am unsure if there is still a written element to testing. Practical exercises include very basic control flying some dots around a screen to assess your ability to do the job. Multi-tasking, division of attention, heading selection, speed time distance, retention of information etc. On completion of grading you'll be off to Collingwood for Warfare Training before joining your first ship. During your first sea draft you'll also attend 3 week Helicopter Controller (Non-Tactical) Course to qualify you to control at a very basic level, assisting the ship's LAC.

Once you're ready, it's off back to Yeovilton for Leading Aircraft Controller's Professional Qualifying Course and the real work begins.

Thanks for taking the time to help, just one more question.. I read on another forum that after you become a petty officer you can apply to become an Air Traffic Controller depending on whether you have the capability, do you then get to control fixed wing aircraft? or multiple aircraft.

You can control multiple aircraft as an LAC, including maritime patrol fixed wing aircraft (although the opportunity for that is rarer these days since Nimrod went bye bye). Expect to control up to three RW aircraft simultaneously during a thursday war.

JATCC (Joint Air Traffic Control Course) Will enable you to control at an airfield in both visual and radar disciplines. Proper ATC as it were. It will also be a necessary qualification to control on the new carriers. At the moment it is an optional course upon promotion to PO. I would hazard a bet that it will be made compulsory to advance again in the next few years as it was prior to 2004.

Sounds good :) what do you think about being an Aircraft Controller and what subjects would be best to brush up on prior to training? i'd say mathematics is the obvious one?

Sounds good :) what do you think about being an Aircraft Controller and what subjects would be best to brush up on prior to training? i'd say mathematics is the obvious one?

I'm at a point where I'm quite far removed from the world of the AC now. I will say that the years I spent as an LAC onboard were the best of my career, no doubt. It is rewarding, can be challenging and you certainly feel like you're an important part of the unit. There are very few jobs at that level with such a great deal of responsibility.

There isn't a great deal of maths, the dark art of altimetry won't become important until JATCC. Calculating minutes to hours quickly is a skill some can't grasp, yet is necessary for calculating aircraft endurance. Speed Time Distance will also serve you well. Calculating aircraft weights is basic.
Learn the compass rose, get your left and rights sorted (a common mistake is an aircraft heading south turning left appears to turn right as you look at it on the screen. I STILL see qualified controllers making the occasional Left / Right error) and carry out some multi tasking exercises. Learn to listen to more than one thing at once and still decipher all the information coming your way. You can't afford to miss anything.

To be honest, it is an aptitude based profession. You can either do it or you can't. I know some seriously bright people who couldn't do it or have scraped through and are shit controllers. There are also some absolute morons who find it easy. I'm not the sharpest bayonet in the guard but I've done alright.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: