Aircraft Controller FAA and such

Hi all!

I’ve applied to be an aircraft controller, passed my exam and I’m waiting for an interview...

I’ve always had an interest in aviation but didn’t want to go into the RAF Much prefer to be at sea than sat in Cyprus... just wanted to see how the role progresses, I can’t see me being put straight onto the new Carriers, so how does the progression work? Is there a lot of land based work or is it just random based on ability whether new or old?

Also I’ve heard the air stations are nicer than Devonport for example is this true?

Anything relevant that I should know is appreciated

Thanks

Waspie

War Hero
Ref air stations being 'nicer' than Devonport - yes!!!!
'Nicer' do people still say nicer?
As for the trade info, you'll have to wait for an answer on that I fear.

yeah ‘nicer’ I’ve been told not to expect a Hilton which is pretty obvious... I’ve driven past Devonport and all I could see was a big wall... to be honest I’m not to bothered about how accommodations would be because it’s relatively cheap

Waspie

War Hero
Unless things have changed, Devonport, you will be either sleeping/living on board your ship, or, living in HMS Drake, the land based establishment. Maybe a Guzzite will answer that better than I.
All establishments accommodation are what you make them, friends, bar, shore life -blah, blah!!!!
Good luck in your endeavours.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I am the Divisional Officer for the current Direct Entry Leading Aircraft Controller course (which is undergoing a massive change, partly due to such a high failure rate). When I am back in office, I will get some bits together and post them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Crash... what’s the failure rate at the moment? I’ve been told by my recruiter and have seen that it’s hard to get into even if you smash the entrance exam

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I have asked the RNSAC (Royal Navy School of Aircraft Control) to let me know the new layout of the course and that will probably be over the next few days.

With regards to the failure rate, course usually start with 6 or 7 and by the end there is usually 1 or 2 that get out the other side as a qualified LAC.

Usually the issues are, inability to handle the stress of tactical control of aircraft during multi-threat scenarios in the simulators here in CWD. Another high attrition reason is that they simply aren’t quite ready to be a Leading Hand this soon into their career (within 12-18 months).

Thanks Crash!
I was told in the recruitment office that it’s one of the hardest jobs to get in the Navy.. as it has extra medicals and for the reasons you’ve said, mainly people can’t deal with the stress!
Would a leading hand having any much different responsibilities to an able?

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Lots! In my opinion, it’s the hardest rate in the RN. The only option you have as an AC is as a Leading Hand. Hence, the pass rate. It’s on everything, not just academically or personally.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
At present, they are sent to a board at Yeovilton. They then decide their fate. There are a few outcomes I have personally seen:

Retained and training extended into the next course (if there is space, there are only 2-3 courses per training year).

Offered branch TX to other branches, based on ET score and suitability.

Discharged.

There is another option that previously wasn’t available (I’m checking the finer details on how this training pipeline would work), that is to send them to sea as a HCNT (Helicopter Controller under Naval Training). We used to do this training as UW’s on T42 , PO (R) used to also do this course. It allows those who aren’t quite ready and who need some more controlling experience to (under a qualified controller) build up their SQEP.