Air Travel to Spain new rules this week

JeffB said:
Am I missing the point but I don't remember ever booking an overseas flight where I didn't have to give my personal details and show a passport on departure? Is this really an issue bearing in mind that you have to produce ID even for internal flights in UK?

Slightly.
What will be happening is called API (Advanced passport information) whereby the receiving country of the flight will have the passengers passport details before the flight arrives; probably before the flight leaves the departure airport.
It is now necessary to have to show ID for any flight within the EU Schengen country or not.

JeffB said:
Am I missing the point but I don't remember ever booking an overseas flight where I didn't have to give my personal details and show a passport on departure? Is this really an issue bearing in mind that you have to produce ID even for internal flights in UK?

Yes you are, before you just showed your passport at check-in and a quick flash as you entered the Airside area. As Sussex says, now the information has to be collected, written down and passed onto Spain of all passengers, it is currently practice if you wish to travel to the USA.

In the old days lots of countries expected you to fill in a card before landing. That info now has to be sent before take off. As just about the biggest daily destination from UK is Spain and a lot of the passengers are not the sharpest knives in the draw delays are expected.

Nutty

JeffB

Badgeman
OK, that makes sense, but surely this is an administrative issue for the airline. Personally speaking I have no objection to providing the information in advance and would far rather this arrangement than a carte blanche right of access for all and sundry.

JeffB said:
OK, that makes sense, but surely this is an administrative issue for the airline. Personally speaking I have no objection to providing the information in advance and would far rather this arrangement than a carte blanche right of access for all and sundry.

It is easy to administrate if you book on line or check in on line but lots of folk still do not have that access.

Nutty said:
JeffB said:

It is easy to administrate if you book on line or check in on line but lots of folk still do not have that access.

As the US has been requiring this for some time I think most ot the required procedures etc have been sorted out.