Air Engineering Officers

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by pot.wafu, Aug 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Please nobody abuse me for asking this, but can anybody let me know what I ought to expect etc from the above job as there are only 8 places available a year for them at BRNC so I need to know if its worth it. Also anyone a maintenance test pilot?

ps just left Welbeck, first Navy entry to go through
  2. Hi

In my opinion the most versatile officer branch, you get experience not only with engineering matters (when I say engineering I don't mean fixing things I mean using 'engineering judgement' for want of a better phrase) but lots of management and divisional experience. There are also lots of different ways to branch out into different areas, MTP/MTO being one.

Not sure what you know about general branch progression but its uni for 3 years at least (for BEng) followed by 7ish months BRNC, 4 months Common Fleet Time. Then SEMC starts for around 9 to 10 months followed by 16 weeks certificate of competency training at an air station. Then you can start your first job (generally as Assistant AEO of a Sqn) or if you're MTP/MTO its off to grading and flying training after that.

Bear in mind if MTP/MTO is the route you'll be going down that you'll probably be one of the older people on the flying training course and its moving back down the training pipeline from being to all intents and purposes a fully qualified AE to being a very baby pilot/obs, calling Lts Sir, etc and all the bullshit that goes along with that! However if you really want to fly then its a good option and currently they are in need of MTPs so chances are as good as they have been for the past few years.

You'll be a few years yet so some changes are likely to go through but I would recommend to anyone who is qualified to try and push for AE!

If you want any more ifo just pm me. Cheers e_v
  3. They get promoted quite quickly as well.

Even Jumper did (although he was a GL!)
  4. We use to say there are more AEO’s in the Navy than Aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm. Times they are a changing, so the Air Eng Admiral said lets introduce an Aircraft with 3 engines (Merlin). So now we say there are more AEO’s than Aircraft Engines in the Fleet Air Arm.

Good luck to you, although once your flying career starts I suspect you will rather stay in the cockpit than push paper at Abby Wood.