Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Air engineer technician

All three services get more or less the same. It's just delivered over different time scales. I believe the RN do a foundation degree now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all different from my day, seems that if you cannot cut it as a mechanician you will be stuck as an OD and never make killick or PO. Shame as we had a number of mechanics who made extremely good Leading hands and even petty officers but would never have made it on Mechs course.

Promotion is based on ability, the three badge ABs we were talking about were from a previous era when the RN had a two tier system. There were mechanics in one tier and in the other were Mechanicians and Tiffs (spit) these were interchangeable and more highly skilled than the mechanics.
It was always possible for the brighter mechanic to be selected for mechanician training and so shift across.
However as always some mechanics slipped through the selection system and though they could pass basic training they were unable to pass the subsequent examinations which lead to leading hand and then petty occifer.
hence they stayed able rate for their whole career.
These were not useless people though, many were bright and able to turn their hand at other things, as a three badger they could normally be relied on to take youngsters under their wing and pass on their experience.
All were extremely good at dodging work , duties, dirty jobs and the like and could normally manage to get a cushy number such as chiefs messman, stores liason and the better communal duties.:D

It's all different from my day, seems that if you cannot cut it as a mechanician you will be stuck as an OD and never make killick or PO. Shame as we had a number of mechanics who made extremely good Leading hands and even petty officers but would never have made it on Mechs course.
How does it work nowhere days?

There are only AET's (no mechs or tiffs) in truth everybody is now a tiff.

Keep you nose clean, work hard, don't be the squadron cock and you will do well.

There is no field gun anymore to guarantee you at least made CPO!! [emoji6]

Thanks JFH! I start training in April, do you think by the time i've done both basic and my phase 2 i could get on the new Aircraft careers?

Do you mean Carriers? [emoji6]

You will need to qualify on an aircraft type (QM/QS). If you want to get on the QE type I suggest avoiding Lynx (or not putting it as a preference). However once QM/QS you are not guaranteed to get a front liner on type, you could get ships company (air engineering workshops).

Prob best not to worry and just go with the flow! Don't worry sometimes you feel like your dipping out but really you are just not dipping in as much as others [emoji6]

Last edited:
I QM/QS'd on Seaking 5, was then sent to 849 HQ (seaking Mk 2). Then back to Mk 5 (820) followed by Search and Rescue to Canberra, Sea Harriers and the Crab Harriers. Never did ships company but did spend a few years teaching in the Harrier school.

My last 6 months was in charge of the arm role bay at Cottesmore however the WO was out of area and I had two corporals who were fighting for promotion to SGT so I spent most of the time in resettlement [emoji6]

So that tells you that your career can move around a bit.

3 Naval Bases (Raleigh, Daedalus & Sultan)

2 Naval Air Stations (CU & VL)

3 Crab Bases (Wyton, Wittering & Cott)

(Only 6 ships, embarked as part of a squadron/flight). (Ark, Lusty, Invinc, Engadine, Fort Vic, Fort Grange).

Good luck, hopefully you'll get JSF and get to Marham, please continue my crab baiting when you get there [emoji6]

Last edited: