Air Aquaint Course.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Duffer, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone reading this been on or due to go on an Air Aquaint Course?

What does it entail? besides the obvious.

I'm waiting for a letter about it, which could be a while yet.

Thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

From what I'm able to gather, Air Acquaints tend to be few & far between, but cetainly used to be offered to potential Aircrew Officers on an ad hoc basis, comprising a guided tour of a Royal Naval Air Station.

I've not seen any official notification of their formal introduction &, whilst happy to stand corrected, would imagine this may have been locally arranged by your Careers Officer. That being the case, he/she is the one to ask for clarification.

3. thats great, thanks for the input.

I've got my second interview with a Careers Officer at the end of the month. Any advice?

Will it differ much to the previous? more in depth I'd imagine?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Usually, you'll have been given an outline of any areas in which you need to do further preparation to make yourself a viable prospective candidate.

You'll be asked very similar questions to last time to ascertain whether you have made positive in-roads.

It's definitely worth dressing the part for your interview, a disheveled appearance sends out the wrong signals for someone wishing to join a disciplined, military organisation. In my book, arrive late & you've blown it.

Hope that helps & good luck.

5. Not sure if it same thing but there are visits by prospective candidates who spend the day on the base getting briefs and walk round of aircraft and get lunch in Wardoom.Dress is smart casual and sometimes they may get a flight though i think this becoming unusual. there are many aquaint courses for all sorts of branches so this may not be same one.

6. Although I have been away for a couple of years, I remember that Culdrose used to run a regular POAC (Potential Officer Acquaint Course), involving groups of around 10 POs visiting for about a week visiting Squadrons, simulators, bit of PT thrown in etc. Unfortunately can't remember who was behind it, but it was certainly a regular occurence. They were put up in the Wardroom and were expected to behave accordingly.

Not much help I'm afraid

7. ok found one
    Arrive Sunday night
    Monday course photograph,watch some video,visit air traffic control, collect flying clothing,have coffee and do paperwork,have lunch,flight in sea king and visit to lynx simulator.
    Tuesday carry out under water escape (dunker) in morning and afternoon chat to frontline officers and fitness aquaint.
    Wednesday more briefs and AIB stuff.Secure approx 1400hrs

8. thats great thanks for that!

9. I went on the Culdrose Air Aquaint - it was awesome, everyone was really nice, food was great, rooms ae good..etc
    unisex showers kind of surprised me as i was the only girl on the aquaint but that also meant i only had to buy 1 round of drinks hehe =D

also if you go to culdrose take casual clothing for evenings - i know the letter says smart but the mess rules in the wardroom were really relaxed when i went in (March 2007) - jeans and tshirts =D

10. sweet i never knew there was such a thing! and im doin aet so should be good

11. Ninja_Stoker

Hiya Toast,

The acquaint is for Aircrew. You can attend a 4 day Royal Navy acquaint in Scotland for Air branch ratings if you ask your AFCO, but it's not quite the same as the ones for future pilots & observers.

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Me and NZB where having a chat whilst bimbling between forums and we just wondered if the corps where recruiting Apache outside aircrew for hasbeen wannabees?

13. Ninja_Stoker

We did look at that one after the very brave acts in Afghanistan this year.

Apparently they wouldn't qualify for flying pay as you have to be INSIDE the aircraft for that, nor PARACHUTE pay as they didn't wear any and flew too low for them to be effective.

Oh, and you don't get medals for doing it in a combat zone with incoming fire & outgoing fire from the aircraft either.

Unless you're in the Army that is.

The conclusion was that only extremely brave individuals would do such a thing- "has-beens & wannabees need not apply".

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

:thumright: