Aint that a kick in the head

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bk86, Jun 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With a week and a half untill I was due to travel to HMS Raleigh turns out one of my eyes could give Mr Magoo a run for his money and won't be going after all.

Not after any sympathy or that but thought I'd say thank you to the various contributors for helping me either directly or indirectly and would like to wish every one a cracking career, especially those joining as Aircraft Handlers on the 15th of June. Never been an avid poster but this site has informed and entertained so thanks again for the info and most importantly the laughs

Good luck to all.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sorry to read that bk86. Good luck with whatever career you decide to follow.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What a nightmare. Whilst you may not be seeking sympathy, you certainly have mine as you must have been waiting a long time to join and to find out at this late stage must be a crushing blow, whichever way you look at it.

I can only assume your eyesight must have deteriorated since first applying as this would normally have been picked-up at the very beginning of the application, certainly not at the very end.

The very best of luck, wherever life takes you. It maybe worth a chat with the RFA Occupational Health guru, via the RN Medical Manager (the Lt you spoke to) to check whether the RFA have different entry criteria in respect of eyesight - worth a shot.
  4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Sorry to hear that BK. Listen to Ninja. If it's a life at sea you want then the RFA is a great option as medical standards, whilst still strict to a certain extent, can allow someone PMU for the RN the chance of a career at sea.

Admittedly, there is a lack of aircraft to handle but you may be ok to join our happy, band of interesting folk...

Yep, the RFA will take most RN rejects. So, if you're fat or diabetic, struggling to breathe, on medication, unfit or have just got shit eyesight, you need the RFA!!

Well they let me in...

Good luck in whatever you end up doing.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
  5. Thanks guys, had a quick look at the rfa website and one or two roles stick out so will think about that since a life at sea would still be appealing especially if they are as interesting as ex j makes out! Fat diabetics? Where do I sign up.

NS from what the medical manager said it was an error by the doctor conducting my medical and I should never have got this far. As gutted as I am there are a few positives as I can swim now (even go in the deep end without p****** my self unintentionally), have never been fitter and left my s*** job listening to people moan about tyres.

If I am right unemployed people spend their time getting drunk watching Jeremy Kyle. I am away to get my joggings on and get plastered.

Ex J and NS. Thanks for the advice will think on it.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. exJenny

Swimming is vital in the RFA. The Seaman's Mission in Dubai has a great pool.

• Like Like x 2

7. And the Jebel Ali Hotel had an even better one; with a bar attached to it!
  8. exJenny

Ahhh yes Gerbil Alley. Tis quite nice there.

9. Twinned with the small Sussex village of ********, don'tcha know.....
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. Good luck in whatever you do bk86, sorry the RN didn't work out for you.