Aiguillettes

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by spam_javelin, Jun 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bone rig question asked in the hope that someone here might have some experience. Are staff aiguillettes worn with summer rig- i.e bush jackets? If so, how are they attached? Tailor had no idea and I can't find anything within the BRs and JSPs other than to say that they are worn on the left shoulder....

Any help gratefully received.

2. Where is the problem? The shoulder board goes on as usual, and then I've seen a small button sewn into the bush jacket (or use the top pocket button backing).

Have you tried the ADC to CBF Gib for a hint?

3. From a Crab BR. But the fitting should be similar.

0903. Method of wearing aiguillettes. When worn, aiguillettes are to be attached to the appropriate shoulder of the jacket as indicated at
    Annex B by a hook or button, placed centrally on the shoulder, ¾in (19mm) from the outside shoulder seam. The loop of the aiguillettes from
    which the tags are suspended is to be similarly attached under the lapel of the jacket so that on the No 1, 1A, 4 and 6 SD uniforms, the tags fall
    over and in line with the inner seam of the appropriate breast pocket. On No 5A, 5B and 8 Mess dress jackets, the loop from which the tags are
    suspended is to be attached under the collar at the join of the collar and lapel. The hook or button is to be located so that the lapel does not hide
    the aiguillettes. With No 1, 1A, 4 and 6 SD, the length of the longer cord should be such that the lower edge of the cord under the arm is
    approximately in line with the waist-belt, sash or waistline and in line with the middle button of the No 5, 5A and 5B SD jackets. With No 6A
    SD, aiguillettes are to be attached to the shoulder of the tunic in the same manner as with No 1A SD. The loop of the aiguillettes from which the
    tags are suspended is to be attached to the second button on the tunic underneath the wrap-over so that the tags fall slightly to one side of the
    buttons with the lower edge of the cord under the arm approximately in line with the sash. As only one size of aiguillettes is available, the
    position of the lower edge of the cord under the arm will vary depending on the build of the wearer. Minor adjustment can be achieved by
    moving the lapel attachment point.

Failing that try HMS Nelson (Vicky Barracks?)

i. Aiguillettes and the various accoutrements are issued on Individual Loan from theUniform Clothing store HMS NELSON.
    0904. On female officers in No 6B (Frock) SD, the attachment to the shoulder is to be in the same manner as for male officers but the loop from
    which the tags are suspended is to be attached under the lapel so that the tags fall on a similar alignment to those of aiguillettes worn by male
    officers with No 6 SD.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. It's a faff..... You have to remove the actual aigulette from the board it's attached to. The two ends of the aigulette are attached to a brass slide, which should slide on your epaulette, then your rank board goes on top. The brass slide should have two holes drilled through it so that the 'shoe laces' on your rank board hold it in place. You'll need the tailor to sew a button underneath the bush jacket collar just like on your normal No 1 jacket for the aigulette loop to go on.

I would suggest asking your fellow aigulette wearers (Flag Lts/EAs etc) for advice, or a friendly retinue steward!

5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I thought aiguilettes were now only worn by Flags/MAs to Navy Board members, so a much smaller pool?

6. Cheese Aigrettes

Not sure this helps :chef:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What? You want to stick a French helicopter on your bushjacket?

alouette_3_saaf-624_pg_02_aad06.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. That is the definition of a collection of bolts flying in close formation.

9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You obviously need to change your tailor.....

10. I've been to some bun fights but why do you want to wear this on your uniform.[​IMG]

11. She'd fit on your shoulder OK, being only about 3 inches tall.

arietty.jpg

• Like Like x 1

12. Yes he does but that one is South African, so its not a great help.

13. On DII, so the format will naturally be terrible. From the BR3: 3913. Aiguillettes a. Aiguillettes (plain gold wire, gimp or gimp and orris as appropriate) are worn onthe right shoulder with Number 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B dresses on all formal occasions bythe following: (1) Admirals of the Fleet. (2) Officers holding the posts of Vice and Rear Admirals of the United Kingdom. (3) Personal Aides-de-Camp to The Queen. (4) Aides-de-Camp to The Queen. (5) Naval Equerries to The Queen or to members of the Royal Family. (6) Honorary Physicians, Chaplains, Surgeons, Dental Surgeons and NursingOfficers to The Queen. (7) Defence Service Secretary. (8) Officers appointed as Aides-de-Camp or Comptrollers to a GovernorGeneral. (9) Aide-de-Camp to the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly tothe Church of Scotland. b. Board type aiguillettes (gold with navy blue flecks, miniature silver anchors onmetal tags) are worn on the right shoulder by: (1) Naval Members of the Defence Council (2) Naval Members of the Admiralty Board c. Staff type aiguillettes (gold with navy blue flecks) are worn on the right shoulderby: (1) Naval Assistant to the Secretary of State for Defence. (2) Officers appointed as Aides-de-Camp to a Governor or Lieutenant Governor. d. Staff type aiguillettes (gold with navy blue flecks) are worn on the left shoulder by: (1) Personal staffs of all members of the Defence Council, VCDS andCommander Joint Force Command. (2) MA to DSACEUR/COFS. (3) MA to DG Log SC. (4) Secretaries and Naval Assistants to Naval Members of the Admiralty Board. (5) The Flag Lieutenant to the Admiralty Board, Secretaries, Flag Lieutenants and Aides-de-Camp to: (a) 2SL/CinC Naval Home Command. (b) CinCFleet. (c) Commander UK Task Group. (d) Flag Officer Sea Training. (e) Flag Officer Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland. (f) Secretary to CBNS US. e. Staff type aiguillettes are also worn on the left shoulder by: (1) Personal staff of the Chairman of the Military Committee, NATO. (2) Secretary and Flag Lieutenant to UKMILREP, NATO. (3) Secretary and Flag Lieutenant to COS to COM-MCC-NAPLES. (4) Secretary of SACLANT REP. (5) Staff of Secretary of State for Defence. (6) Head of BDS US. (7) Defence and Naval Attaches. (8) Assistant Defence and Naval Attaches. (9) Service Advisers and Assistant Advisers to HM High Commissions inCommonwealth capitals. f. Board or staff type aiguillettes may not be worn concurrently with ADC’s orEquerry’s aiguillettes. For instance, a member of the Admiralty Board or NavalAttaché who is also an ADC to The Queen wears the aiguillette appropriate to the latterappointment. g. Aiguillettes may only be worn by the personal staffs listed at sub para a wheneither accompanying, or acting in an official capacity on behalf of, the Senior Officerconcerned. If on any occasion the Senior Officer does not wear aiguillettes thenneither should accompanying personal staff. h. ‘Formal Occasions’ are defined as those when swords or decorations are wornand when particular formality is called for outside the normal day-to-day routine ofwork or practice. i. Aiguillettes and the various accoutrements are issued on Individual Loan from theUniform Clothing store HMS NELSON.

14. Gimp.

Hurr hurr.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Now we know from whence the word originated. ^_~

16. Or see BR3 Part 6 Para 3913

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

I've missed out. If only I had asked my appointer if I could have been:

'Aide-de-Camp to the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly to the Church of Scotland'.

18. It's the Earl of Wessex; dippers shippers....

19. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Blimey! i did dip - every day's a school day...:blob6:

20. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The Earl of Wessex is the ADC to the Lord High Commissioner of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland? FFS, normally its a thrusting Lieutenant and only for the duration of the 'conference season'.

Cap, greatcoat, aiguillette, taxi.