Aiding your Application

Discussion in 'RFA' started by NO99, Jul 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, I am currently at university (2nd/4 years) and I am currently considering applying to the RFA for the position of Deck Officer Cadet. I have a few questions that I hope you could help me with;

• I understand as an deck officer cadet you study at university in the first 3 years. Do you think already being a graduate would put me at a disadvantage?
    • While at university, what sort of activities could a prospective officer of the RFA get involved with to aid their application and demonstrate their suitability?

Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to reading your responses.
  2. Training is at a college rather than university, and to Foundation Degree level, so not comparable to a real degree at a real uni. Being a graduate will be an advantage at the recruitment stage, not a disadvantage. About 50% of trainee time is at college, the remainder on the job at sea.
  3. To your first question - I would doubt it.
    To your second - try helping out at your local sea cadet unit. It may amount to one or two evenings a week and an occasional weekend. The staff there are very often ex RN,MN,RFA.

4. Thank you both for your comments much appreciated! I will certainly look into helping out at my locat sea cadet unit.