Aicrewman Questions

Hi, any help on this is much appreciated.

I applied to join as an Aircrewman, and am now nearing the end of my recruitment process. I just have a couple questions on the role.
How long can aircrewmen expect to be deployed for? I know of ships being sent on deployments up to 9 months long, would aircrew be regularly expected to join a ship for this amount of time?
What sort of careers post Navy could Aircrewman set you up for? I am also in the recruitment process with the RAF for WSOP, basically the equivalent role. WSOP seems to have a much broader spectrum of paths to take and specializations to experience, therefore giving you more experience post service. Would anyone say otherwise?
If there is anyone with direct experience who could help with this I'd much appreciate it, I'm a bit torn between the two!

Not going to mention current deployments and durations as I haven't a clue these days.
Post RN. There are many helicopter flying jobs, Bristows, Bond and British Helicopters for a few. You could also become an offshore Helicopter Landing Officer on the oil rigs. Many fixed wing transport companies employ ex crewman as loadmasters. Many of my contemporaries are employed in Australia, New Zealand, Caribbean in flying roles. I personally trained as an airline operations manager. So yes, there are jobs after a life of fun and frolics.
As for RAF vs RN. RN all the way. Most pf the RAF aircrew I have met have been pipe and slippers merchants with obligatory black Labrador!!!!!

Thanks Waspie, much appreciated from someone with experience
Additionally, a number of aircrewman also qualified as pilots AFTER leaving the services. As many of were, cough cough, allowed to pilot the helicopters after a bit of tuition from our pilots. That ability plus the money from leaving the RN, many used the money to take formal flying lessons and qualify. I know at least four that are working for Virgin Atlantic, BA and ??? 2000 as captains on mega bucks a year.
Some aircrewmen changed over to officer aircrew whilst serving. I don't know if that is still possible. (I can't see why not). All you need is the education ie, the 5 required GCSE's or whatever it is these days.

Worlds ya oyster!!!!!

Just to make your decision process a bit harder, and if you are comparing ASW ACMN Merlin Mk 2 vs WSOp Fixed Wing P8, here’s a thought. Although similar as both are airborne mission operators, there are some fundamental differences. Mainly due to the aircraft type and the diverse nature of helicopter tasking. I would say that Merlin will be much more of a physical task, we regularly switch between ASW, ASuW mission profiles to winching during the same sortie. We have to, to remain competent in all roles.
To further complicate our decision, ASW aircrewman alongside RN pilots and observers will be on P8.

Just to make your decision process a bit harder, and if you are comparing ASW ACMN Merlin Mk 2 vs WSOp Fixed Wing P8, here’s a thought. Although similar as both are airborne mission operators, there are some fundamental differences. Mainly due to the aircraft type and the diverse nature of helicopter tasking. I would say that Merlin will be much more of a physical task, we regularly switch between ASW, ASuW mission profiles to winching during the same sortie. We have to, to remain competent in all roles.
To further complicate our decision, ASW aircrewman alongside RN pilots and observers will be on P8.
By eck. How things have changed.
I now feel like ye proverbial dinosaur!!!! I know all the helo's I flew in are in museums but that post of yours has aged me!!!!!!!

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
RN aircrew are on pay band 3 ,RAF aircrew are pay band 2 although they do get to wear Sgt stripes once they are qualified.
I don't know about if they get full Sgt pay.