AIB

RAFreject

Newbie
although i'm sure this question is asked on a regular basis, and everyone gets bored of answering it, but i'm off to AIB in a month (i didn't get much notice) for pilot and Air Traffic Controller - what do i need to know service knowledge/branch knowledge/current affairs wise?

any help would be MUCH appreciated!
 

dunkers

War Hero
It does get asked a lot.

It has been answered a lot.

So why don't you look up previous threads on the AIB?
 

fido

MIA
RAFreject,

I am sure that Dunkers is right and I am equally sure that you have posted this query in other threads and answers were posted in reply.
 

ohaire

Badgeman
look in the newbies section, also if you had your AIB in a month you would have got that booklet which tells you there is a "service knowledge test"

then in the interivew you will get asked about why you want to do what you want to do, so you need to know your shit

as for current affairs, read the times, watch bbc news 24, dont live under a stone (buy the months copy of NAVY NEWS b4 going to AIB to know recent deployments etc)
 
RAFreject said:
what do i need to know service knowledge/branch knowledge/current affairs wise?
Have a good look at the RN website for current deployments, policies, ship and aircraft types, locations etc. In your case you will probably want to know about CVF, JSF, Merlin as well as the role of a FC. The site will also give you an idea of the various branches.

As for current affairs, it doesn't figure in the AIB now - for the interview, you'll be expected to explain why you are right for the RN and come up with examples of how you have demonstrated your potential (membership of organisations, setting up and running clubs or sports societies, involvement in youth or voluntary organisations etc).

For the group discussion you'll need to be able to do quick calculations of speeds, times, distances and describing a plan.

Pop into your AFCO and ask for a copy of the AIB DVD - it should give you a good idea of what they are after.
 

SUYAIB

Badgeman
TattooDog said:
Pop into your AFCO and ask for a copy of the AIB DVD - it should give you a good idea of what they are after.
Anyone on RR got a copy of this DVD or know if it can be downloaded from anywhere??
 
SUYAIB said:
Anyone on RR got a copy of this DVD or know if it can be downloaded from anywhere??
You should be able to get a copy from one of the Education Officers, assuming you are near one of the Naval Bases or at a RNAS.
 

RomftRoy

Midshipman
TattooDog said:
RAFreject said:
what do i need to know service knowledge/branch knowledge/current affairs wise?
Have a good look at the RN website for current deployments, policies, ship and aircraft types, locations etc. In your case you will probably want to know about CVF, JSF, Merlin as well as the role of a FC. The site will also give you an idea of the various branches.

As for current affairs, it doesn't figure in the AIB now - for the interview, you'll be expected to explain why you are right for the RN and come up with examples of how you have demonstrated your potential (membership of organisations, setting up and running clubs or sports societies, involvement in youth or voluntary organisations etc).

For the group discussion you'll need to be able to do quick calculations of speeds, times, distances and describing a plan.

Pop into your AFCO and ask for a copy of the AIB DVD - it should give you a good idea of what they are after.
The other Major Naval Issue you might want to make yourself aware of is the Trident Replacement debate and whether or not we can run the boats on to 2042.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NavyStuff2020 Passed the virtual AIB during corona virus pandemic with competitive score (Early May) Joining the Royal Navy 23
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 2
C AIB revision Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Selection after AIB Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
S AIB fail - join RNR? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
A AIB waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 66
O Aircrew AIB - February 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 1
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C AIB study books - current and good Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C June AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
C AIB swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C AIB pass rate Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Upcoming AIB for TMO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Y AIB Layout Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L AIB and aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H AIB Prep - What are the keys to success? Joining the Royal Navy 4
G How often do the AIB interviews take place? Joining the Royal Navy 5
C AIB - no return Joining the Royal Navy 3
G AIB 21st may 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
woody28 AIB score?? Joining the Royal Navy 4
H PANDORA / T Score - FATS/AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Does anyone have experience with the JobTestPrep guide for AIB? RFA 4
C AIB - 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A AIB Joining the Royal Navy 3
Kelvin AIB Diary - 2018 Format Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
W AIB Current Royal Navy Operations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
W AIB Questionnaire and Final Prep Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W Passed AIB however told selection unlikely Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
photface New AIB format fitness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
W AIB Interview Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
D Planning Exercises - AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M AIB date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
WannabeAdmiral Yet another AIB experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
WannabeAdmiral The temple of the almighty AIB soup The Gash Barge 26
TechFin Can you delay an AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Numeracy for AIB. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
photface Current affairs for AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Will my AIB score get me into Dartmouth for Observer Joining the Royal Navy 5
P AIB 26th - 27th June Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
G AIB 25th-26th May Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
N AIB Pitfalls The Quarterdeck 11
Similar threads





























AIB





















Top