Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by RAFreject, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. although i'm sure this question is asked on a regular basis, and everyone gets bored of answering it, but i'm off to AIB in a month (i didn't get much notice) for pilot and Air Traffic Controller - what do i need to know service knowledge/branch knowledge/current affairs wise?

any help would be MUCH appreciated!
  2. It does get asked a lot.

It has been answered a lot.

So why don't you look up previous threads on the AIB?
  3. RAFreject,

I am sure that Dunkers is right and I am equally sure that you have posted this query in other threads and answers were posted in reply.
  4. look in the newbies section, also if you had your AIB in a month you would have got that booklet which tells you there is a "service knowledge test"

then in the interivew you will get asked about why you want to do what you want to do, so you need to know your shit

as for current affairs, read the times, watch bbc news 24, dont live under a stone (buy the months copy of NAVY NEWS b4 going to AIB to know recent deployments etc)
  5. Have a good look at the RN website for current deployments, policies, ship and aircraft types, locations etc. In your case you will probably want to know about CVF, JSF, Merlin as well as the role of a FC. The site will also give you an idea of the various branches.

As for current affairs, it doesn't figure in the AIB now - for the interview, you'll be expected to explain why you are right for the RN and come up with examples of how you have demonstrated your potential (membership of organisations, setting up and running clubs or sports societies, involvement in youth or voluntary organisations etc).

For the group discussion you'll need to be able to do quick calculations of speeds, times, distances and describing a plan.

Pop into your AFCO and ask for a copy of the AIB DVD - it should give you a good idea of what they are after.
  6. Anyone on RR got a copy of this DVD or know if it can be downloaded from anywhere??
  7. You should be able to get a copy from one of the Education Officers, assuming you are near one of the Naval Bases or at a RNAS.
  8. The other Major Naval Issue you might want to make yourself aware of is the Trident Replacement debate and whether or not we can run the boats on to 2042.
  9. And I wouldn't call myself "RAF Reject" either ;)