Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

AIB

matlo_caroline

Lantern Swinger
Well i know we have had alot of threads for the AIB but this is one that i dont think has been covered in a while.
Can anyone tell me about the Physchometric tests i have basic ideas on them and have purchased a couple of books but which ones are the best to purchase and has anyone got any ideas the best way to prepare for them.
I am hoping to go for my AIB in the next few months so all preperation tips and helps would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Caroline

The AIB has changed its format in the last couple of years. The Eductaion Officers in the Main Naval Bases normal run AIB preperation classes, have you been to these? If not your CW Officer should be able to point you in the right direction.

As a starter for 10, I would look to brush up on mental arithmetic and English grammar. They probably also still have plenty of Speed, Time, Distance type mental gymnastics; if its 6.5nm and I have to get there in 20mins how fast must I go, etc

SPEED TIME DISTANCE work them out now and memorise them.
The tests mainly consist of whats the next in this pattern of boxes maths, english if dog is to paw what is human to (foot) there not to bad, get some practise essay writing.

wkdwren said:
SPEED TIME DISTANCE work them out now and memorise them.
The tests mainly consist of whats the next in this pattern of boxes maths, english if dog is to paw what is human to (foot) there not to bad, get some practise essay writing.

.....and obviously punctuation, eh Wkd? :lol:

Being a bit dense here, but doesn't learning parrot fashion the answers to psychometric tests and/or speed-distance questions totally defeat the point of such tests? Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I always thought that understanding how to arrive at the answer to a question was far more important than knowing the answer itself. Then again, if that's what the UK education system is now producing, maybe that explains why I've had to (temporarily) move to Canada to undertake engineering!

The books teach the ways to arrive at the answers to various kinds of question, ie they give you worked examples of various questions, so you can work out the answers yourself when presented with psychometric questions :)

matlo_caroline said:
Well i know we have had alot of threads for the AIB but this is one that i dont think has been covered in a while.
Can anyone tell me about the Physchometric tests i have basic ideas on them and have purchased a couple of books but which ones are the best to purchase and has anyone got any ideas the best way to prepare for them.
I am hoping to go for my AIB in the next few months so all preperation tips and helps would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Caroline

I wouldn't get altogether massively bent out of shape regarding mental arithmetic and such academia. Although there are some taxing moments (such as the speed/time/distance problem and the psychometrics) the board itself these days concentrates on the self, and your capability to lead and manage. In that, if you come across as a capable leader and one who is able to formulate ideas into actions using your team without a great deal of outside assistance and udsing the resources available to their maximum, if you can command your team utilising their best skills, abilities and ideas and if you are adaptable enough to utilise feedback as the task progresses, assess the situation and correct the team aims to a solution, you won't do badly. Your background as a leader and manager is sometimes crucial in selection. If you have shown leadership and management capability in the past at school or college, sport or even held a level which highlights your capability, your chances are better. Gone are the days when the board was there simply for the ruperts who could tell you where Mogadishu was. There is an element of that, but 'what books do you read' has less of a scoring factor than if you can think on your feet and transfer that into results when placed in charge of a team. We have enough chinless academics and not enough people we would follow into war and die for. Nowdays the emphasis is on capability in charge, not capability to count.

Levers

I remember that the leaflets they send you give details of a couple of books to buy which help you with the whole Psychometric testing methodology. I used them extensively and found them to be great. Also, before each test, they used to give you a couple of sample questions and then go through them to make sure that you were on the right lines.

Buy or borrow the books and spend about ten minutes each day going through the various tests. When you've done them, do them over and over until you can do them in your sleep. Trust me - it will make it very simple as the method is very similar for any question.

SF

Bear in mind that the Psychometric tests are only a small part of the AIB, you also need to come up with examples where you have displayed potential to become an officer and to show good leadership in the practical tasks - and I don't mean just shouting at the other team members :wink:

The format of the AIB has indeed changed recently; the current affairs bit is gone and the board will grill you on why you think you should be an officer and to provide examples of potential (see my first paragraph). However, you will still do the planning task so brushing up on Speed Time Distance (STD) equations may be useful (Not to be confused with other types of STDs 8O ). Another tip - you will do your RNFT at the AIB and how well you do is an indication of motivation, so you will help yourself if you do more than just pass it.

Formal CW classes have now gone as it became obvious that they were just "coaching" sessions and candidates were turning up spouting the stock phrases but not being able to demonstrate potential.

The Base Education Officers will, however, see you on a one-to-one basis to discuss your preparation as a personal development kind of thing.

Caroline,

I think you are worrying about this too much. Be yourself and deal with the tasks and exercises as they come.

When I did my AIB I arrived there directly from a ship undergoing a workup at Portland; I had no time to prepare, neither did my DO brief me, yet I was fine.

If a commission is right for you, and you are right for a commission, it will happen. Cramming for the AIB sort of defeats the objective when you think about it.

Latest Threads