AIB

Guns

War Hero
The best piece of advise is be happy why you want to be an officer, what you want to do as an officer and most importanly why you will make a good officer. It is all about impression, if you do not know say so and they will move you on to a subject you do know about. Have a view, why you have it and reasoning to back it up. Eye contact and remember when you walk through the door have the confidence that you will pass.

As far as the tests go, think of it as mental phys (you work out for the RNFT so why not for the tests). Practicing the tests will help you get the thought train defined and allow you to dedicate mental power to answering the questions not working out how to do them. Mind you I am dyslexic and got through so it can't be that hard.

Jim30

Lantern Swinger
Don't get too hung up on the tests - whilst part of the first day, unless you do appallingly badly on all of them then it won't fail you. Far better to concentrate on naval knowledge, politics current affairs and so on.
The one thing you need to be good at is Speed Distance Time questions - oyu'retravelling at 5kmh, and need to be at X, which is 4km away, by 1200hrs. Its 1100hrs now, what time will you get there? (1148hrs).

fido

MIA
TattooDog said:
Bear in mind that the Psychometric tests are only a small part of the AIB, you also need to come up with examples where you have displayed potential to become an officer and to show good leadership in the practical tasks - and I don't mean just shouting at the other team members :wink:

The format of the AIB has indeed changed recently; the current affairs bit is gone and the board will grill you on why you think you should be an officer and to provide examples of potential (see my first paragraph). However, you will still do the planning task so brushing up on Speed Time Distance (STD) equations may be useful (Not to be confused with other types of STDs 8O ). Another tip - you will do your RNFT at the AIB and how well you do is an indication of motivation, so you will help yourself if you do more than just pass it.

Formal CW classes have now gone as it became obvious that they were just "coaching" sessions and candidates were turning up spouting the stock phrases but not being able to demonstrate potential.

The Base Education Officers will, however, see you on a one-to-one basis to discuss your preparation as a personal development kind of thing.
Not strictly true TattooDog - CW classes are alive and well at other establishments and prove valuable in assessing motivation and application.

fido said:
Not strictly true TattooDog - CW classes are alive and well at other establishments and prove valuable in assessing motivation and application.
DNR issued a directive to the Fleet last Easter that all formal classes should cease.

There shouldn't be any formal CW classes running - by that I mean the classes that were used as coaching sessions (current affairs, how to pass AIB, PLTs etc).

It could be argued that assessing motivation and application is the DO's job, but whether the Div System is working is another topic . . . :wink:

mndc

Midshipman
Dont worry too much about the tests, they are designed not to test your memory but your ability to use logic and common sense (and a little simple maths). I recently passed the Oasc (crab version of AIB) tests for pilot, of which some parts (mainly verbal reasoning and mathamatics) are the same as the Navy Psycometric tests. I found nothing I had prepared could help me (except for basic Speed/distance/time etc). Needless to say I failed the Med so am now off to join the Merchant Nav in Sept and hopefully the RNR at some point.

Good luck

and enjoy it!! especially the interview - loved mine!!