Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AIB waiting time

Waspie

War Hero
But the absurd wait times being a "test" only makes sense if the trait you desire most above anything else in an officer is patience. If you're looking for anything else you know small things like, talent, ability, intelligence, temperament, knowledge or literally anything else then making applicants wait years is reducing your talent pool. Nelson isn't famous for his ability to sit on his arse for two years while the navy sorted out their application process and found him a place at the AIB is he?
'Reducing your talent pool'. I don't think there has been, nor will be a shortage of volunteers. Maybe some who don't mind waiting either. You step aside and someone will surely fill the space you left.
You cannot equate Nelson Navy to todays.
Nelson - a cosh on the back of the head and your in assuming you have all your limbs pre coshing. Officers withstanding of course. A simple private income got you a commission.
Today. As your finding. A long sift process with your educational certificates and degrees.
Nelsons Navy it is not!!

Lovablesnowman

Midshipman
'Reducing your talent pool'. I don't think there has been, nor will be a shortage of volunteers. Maybe some who don't mind waiting either. You step aside and someone will surely fill the space you left.
You cannot equate Nelson Navy to todays.
Nelson - a cosh on the back of the head and your in assuming you have all your limbs pre coshing. Officers withstanding of course. A simple private income got you a commission.
Today. As your finding. A long sift process with your educational certificates and degrees.
Nelsons Navy it is not!!

Yeah we're just going in circles. I think the navy should go for the best applicants and that means actually having an attractive application process. You're happy with the current quality and quantity of recruits. We're not going to agree here

On a side note if the navy went the way of the army with it constantly missing it's own recruitment targets then would you concede I'm correct or would you stick to the "if people aren't willing to wait years to get in someone else will" attitude? Genuine question

Waspie

War Hero
Yeah we're just going in circles. I think the navy should go for the best applicants and that means actually having an attractive application process. You're happy with the current quality and quantity of recruits. We're not going to agree here

On a side note if the navy went the way of the army with it constantly missing it's own recruitment targets then would you concede I'm correct or would you stick to the "if people aren't willing to wait years to get in someone else will" attitude? Genuine question
Firstly, I have nothing to agree or disagree with! I left some 25+ years ago. As for the quality of the recruits. They are a different breed today. More advanced, more technical than my day. I flew in a single engined helicopter, they are no comparison to the Wildcats and Merlins of today.

I would have to stick to 'if people aren't willing to wait years to get in someone else will'. You are the exception to the rule on this. From folk posting on here and people I already know. Which is not a bad thing. It's what makes us unique. Different opinions.

This site is used in my opinion, by two types of person. Like you, folk who want information about the Navy. Then there are folk like me, ex RN. Were in and find it a source of banter. Offering advice, good, bad or sarcastic!! As long as folk realise this site is not the official gospel according to the Royal Navy!!!!

Zoidberg

War Hero

The falling short of targets isn't really anything to do with casting a net.

It's more to do with a changing culture in the world and either an unwillingness or inability to change the way the army works.

I can't remember where I read or heard this but I recently heard of a matelot saying he would 'miss snapchat' whilst deployed. We can get internet access, albeit limited, on a ship.

The army cant exactly take those facilities out into the field for everybody to use. It sounds stupid, but it really is little things like that. When I was in Raleigh I was receiving letters. I dont think iPhones had been out too long then.

Now contact is instant and being away is getting harder and harder for people to deal with.

We're set up to recruit who we need. The most efficient change right now would be to reduce the number of people leaving positions that are short so the recruiting pipeline can catch up.

We might be losing a good applicant with the waiting time but we could lose them at any stage for any reason. I'd rather have someone average who wants to be there than someone awesome who's planning their next move.

Most civilian companies (yes, some do) don't sign you on for 4-5 years and send you to nasty places. Maybe the recruitment process is that long to make sure candidates have enough time to consider their options.

Waspie

War Hero
The Navy does some strange things at times.
There was a time when it got rid of a lot of experienced senior ranks. Then, too late of course, realised that the experience had gone.
No problem! Just promote from below. Yeah, it got the numbers but it still lacked the experience.
The higher ups never thought that one through at all.
Took years as I recall to get the knowledge base back to where at had been.
As my granddaughter would say. "silly old navy".

SeaBiscuit

Badgeman
"
The falling short of targets isn't really anything to do with casting a net.

It's more to do with a changing culture in the world and either an unwillingness or inability to change the way the army works.

I can't remember where I read or heard this but I recently heard of a matelot saying he would 'miss snapchat' whilst deployed. We can get internet access, albeit limited, on a ship.

The army cant exactly take those facilities out into the field for everybody to use. It sounds stupid, but it really is little things like that. When I was in Raleigh I was receiving letters. I dont think iPhones had been out too long then.

Now contact is instant and being away is getting harder and harder for people to deal with.

We're set up to recruit who we need. The most efficient change right now would be to reduce the number of people leaving positions that are short so the recruiting pipeline can catch up.

We might be losing a good applicant with the waiting time but we could lose them at any stage for any reason. I'd rather have someone average who wants to be there than someone awesome who's planning their next move.

Most civilian companies (yes, some do) don't sign you on for 4-5 years and send you to nasty places. Maybe the recruitment process is that long to make sure candidates have enough time to consider their options.
"We're set up to recruit who we need. The most efficient change right now would be to reduce the number of people leaving positions that are short so the recruiting pipeline can catch up."

Exactly this.

The recruiting pipeline is insane right now, applications up by a third, Raleigh and Dartmouth at max cap, and no core of experienced seniors to coach them once in the fleet.

Brown144

I notice that people are talking about officer applications for certain branches being oversubscribed. Is this the case for Weapon Engineering Officer?

I notice that people are talking about officer applications for certain branches being oversubscribed. Is this the case for Weapon Engineering Officer?
I got an email form the AFCO with a list of the over subscribed branches they where pausing applications for. It is as follows:
Pilot, TMO, Logistical Officer, RMO, Warfare Officer (HM), ATC, Air Engineering Officer and Warfare(INT)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Issues with waiting times for AIB and lack of communication from AFCO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
J Waiting for AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Waiting time for AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
wetanduseless Still waiting to hear from AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Waiting time for Rating after AIB fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
I waiting time from sending off AIB forms to AIB date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
N Waiting ages for my AIB Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
N Virtual AIB Joining the Royal Navy 6
P AIB wait for priority roles Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS CMA letter to AIB NI on a breach of Directions given under the SME Banking Undertakings MoD News 0
G AIB Joining the Royal Navy 11
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
C AIB revision Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Selection after AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
S AIB fail - join RNR? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
O Aircrew AIB - February 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 1
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C AIB study books - current and good Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C June AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
C AIB swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C AIB pass rate Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Upcoming AIB for TMO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Y AIB Layout Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L AIB and aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H AIB Prep - What are the keys to success? Joining the Royal Navy 4
G How often do the AIB interviews take place? Joining the Royal Navy 5
C AIB - no return Joining the Royal Navy 3
G AIB 21st may 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
woody28 AIB score?? Joining the Royal Navy 4
H PANDORA / T Score - FATS/AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Does anyone have experience with the JobTestPrep guide for AIB? RFA 4
C AIB - 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A AIB Joining the Royal Navy 3
Kelvin AIB Diary - 2018 Format Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
W AIB Current Royal Navy Operations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
W AIB Questionnaire and Final Prep Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W Passed AIB however told selection unlikely Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
photface New AIB format fitness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
W AIB Interview Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
D Planning Exercises - AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M AIB date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16