AIB swimming test

Claire1997

Midshipman
In the recent months I've been researching AIB and I'd more or less established it included an essay, psychometric tests, leadership and problem solving tasks, 2.4k timed run and the main board interview but I had not come across anything which mentioned swimming which seemed odd, until today where I read that you swim 2 x 100m breaststroke and retrieve a rubber brick out the deep end. Because this is the first time I have come across this, I was wondering whether this is outdated or is still a part of the AIB selection.

Thanks

Claire1997

Midshipman
They’ve built a swimming pool since I did AIB then. Where did you read that?
It's up on the Royal Navy site but I am sure it wasn't there a few months ago when I started application. It's under the practical leadership task section. Here's the link;
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/joining/get-ready-to-join/royal-navy-officer/how-can-i-prepare

I am just concerned because diving is definitely something I would have swotted up on in the recent months if I thought it was part of a test so now I only have a few weeks to learn.

Last edited:

Catan

Best to ask your ACLO then. It's either a mistake on the website (not unusual) or they've updated it very recently (and I'm sure they only updated it, e.g. taken the essay stage out, within the last 1-2 years anyway so to change back again would be strange).

Also, if you're going to AIB in a few weeks time, you should have all the 'bumpf', that tells you exactly what to expect, no?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I’m fairly confident they haven’t built a swimming pool at Sultan. There is one at Collingwood, but I’m equally sure you’d only be expected to do the same as potential recruits do during their PRNC.

Also the last paragraph of that PLT section suggests there might be a mistake on the website - Finally you will have an interview with your course Corporal, where you will need to show a broad understanding of the Corps. To do well, study the information your careers adviser gives you, take a look at the website and do your own research. You won’t be swimming 100m and retrieving bricks. Though that’s not difficult, and you really should be able to do that. If you can’t you might want to learn to swim.

Claire1997

Midshipman
Best to ask your ACLO then. It's either a mistake on the website (not unusual) or they've updated it very recently (and I'm sure they only updated it, e.g. taken the essay stage out, within the last 1-2 years anyway so to change back again would be strange).

Also, if you're going to AIB in a few weeks time, you should have all the 'bumpf', that tells you exactly what to expect, no?
I'm hopefully going to be getting all the info at a meeting in the next week, I was just asking because it caught me by surprise yesterday. And thank you

Claire1997

Midshipman
I’m fairly confident they haven’t built a swimming pool at Sultan. There is one at Collingwood, but I’m equally sure you’d only be expected to do the same as potential recruits do during their PRNC.

Also the last paragraph of that PLT section suggests there might be a mistake on the website - Finally you will have an interview with your course Corporal, where you will need to show a broad understanding of the Corps. To do well, study the information your careers adviser gives you, take a look at the website and do your own research. You won’t be swimming 100m and retrieving bricks. Though that’s not difficult, and you really should be able to do that. If you can’t you might want to learn to swim.
I definitely do need to swot up on certain areas of my swimming admittedly, I was hoping to do so, if I passed, in the space between AIB and intake. And thanks, that's helped a lot.

Maran?4

Midshipman
I did the AIB in October and there was no swimming and as far as I’m aware there’s no pool in sultan.
The link sounds a bit like the PRNC bit? Which is a 4 day course for ratings before they go to Raleigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hubert Holroyd

Midshipman

AVIIJP

Midshipman
Yeah, no, the only swimming you might do is if you let your boots drag you into the PLT water pit when roping across.

From the sounds of it who ever edited the page got mixed up with POC, especially with that below paragraph.

SubLTLO

Midshipman
I just passed my AIB in mid February there is no swimming test. It says to bring swim wear just for the PLT task where you may get wet if you build a bridge wrong but the water is waist height and the aim is to stay dry haha