AIB scores

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ewok1, May 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I was to pass AIB for pilot but for some reason not reach the medical requirements for pilot, would I have to take AIB again? Or would the score be applicable to warfare officer, and as such just allow me to transfer my application from pilot to warfare?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

An AIB pass remains valid for 12 months. Assuming you score high enough to be selected within the group required for entry as Warfare Officer, a retake is not necessary. as an aside, Aircrew is a sub branch of Warfare, you could end-up as a captain of a warship as a pilot/obs.

Selection is merit based - if we only need 5 pilots, the top 5 AIB passes will be selected. Likewise Warfare Officer.

3. Thought an AIB pass lasted 5 years. That's what my chit stated. Although that was 2012?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Any news on the current deficit of Officer applicants? A while ago you were saying there weren't enough for Warfare Officer so an AIB pass was a ticket to BRNC, just wondering if that's still the case.

5. Ninja_Stoker

The main shortage categories seem to be engineers & training management officers, especially the latter as they are now accepting non vocational degrees.

With regard the validity of an AIB pass, my understanding was that if you did not get selected in the 12 months after passing, it was no longer valid. It is possible however for those awarded scholarships, DTUS & bursaries, for a "reserved place" to be awarded, which means if the standard is met, the AIB remains valid for entry during the time in education.

6. An AIB pass for SUY candidates is valid for 5 years.

7. So is there no longer a shortage of Logistics Officer candidates then/ has the shortfall been partially/ fully filled?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

8. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

I think you might find an AIB pass is good for 2 years, but Ninje is as good as it gets near to the Horse's Mouth. think you may also find that with TMO they are saving up candidates until they have enough to run a Phase 2 TMOC.

Your TMO pass will be good enough to get you into the RNR. Why not try that if the RN route falls over - there is now a level transfer scheme from the RNR into the RN, and the first candidate is just about to blaze this trail for TMO.

Sometimes you have to play a longer game - softly, softly, catchy Monkey!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

AIB validity does indeed vary depending on method of selection/entry. I'll try and get a definitive pointer next week on validity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Having just had 2 guys go through AIB and spending a fair amount of time checking all the paperwork etc was in order, I'm sure a pass is valid for 12 months for DGE/UY entrants and 5 years for SUY, regardless of branch.

11. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

The important thing is that once you are an officer, you are an officer - that cannot be taken from you. So go into an RNR branch then move across as a retread. Having said that you can have a BR thrown at you.

A chap of my aquaintance was RN Phase 1 BRNC, Backclassed, then Phase 2, then TM for some years, then left, then joined RNR,then rejoined RN, sent back through BRNC Phase 1, then backclassed again!!!!!!, then Phase 2, then TM again. The only concession he got at BRNC the second time round was his own cabin so he could not poison the Nozzers by being old and bold.

All Gen Dit because the BR said that an RNR transferee had to start from scratch.:eek:

12. Ninja_Stoker

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons with regard AIB validity - for those passing AIB whilst attending URNU, a pass now remains valid for up to three years. Bear in mind a pass doesn't guarantee a job (except perhaps a Commission in the RNR) but it does mean the pass is forwarded for selection (FFS) together with all other contenders when/if the individual subsequently decides to join.

I do like the fact that 'FFS' means something similar on t'interweb.