AIB revision

Hi guys,

I am currently preparing for my AIB in march. I have been practising different psychometric tests (verbal/spatial/mathematical/abstract reasoning) along with speed, distance and time questions. However, I was wondering if you are also required to do fuel calculations as part of the Planning Exercise?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
I passed AIB in February so I can share a few tips based on my experience. Also look at other posts I've made on my profile, I've talked about AIB prep in some detail on other threads. I've answered your questions as best as I can along with some other ideas for you to think about below.
  • Psychometrics: These make up a small proportion of your AIB score, around 5% iirc. I could be wrong, however. Do some practice but spend your time on them sensibly.
  • Planning Exercise: There are some practice PlaxEx papers on this forum somewhere, check the AIB threads thoroughly for them. Your best bet for Plan Ex prep is to practice these in test-conditions: read the briefs and take notes for 15 minutes, then think about the problem and plan a solution for 15. Then, do a written report in 20 minutes that covers: situation, problem, plan, and a conclusion. You will need to do SDT calculations quickly - your best bet is speeddistancetime.info for getting those skills down. Fuel calculations may not be needed, but it depends on the scenario. They can and will throw anything out you to see how you adapt. Do your best to handle new information quickly. The Planning Exercise really is a massive test of memory recall, situational awareness, adaptability, emotional control, with a side of maths thrown in just to challenge you.
  • Practical Leadership: This is hard to prepare for in my opinion. Listen to your briefs on the first day, get involved and be a team player. Project yourself and have strong positive control of your team and their techniques during the led task, and make yourself useful on other's led tasks. If things don't go well - breathe deeply, regain focus, and ask your team for ideas. 8 minutes goes quickly. If you have experience in practical leadership you are more likely to do better - the skills in the PLT don't always come naturally to new leaders who have potential regardless.
  • Interview: be prepared for some basic service knowledge, you may be asked some. I am applying for pilot and wasn't asked any service knowledge, but some were asked training pipeline questions. Have good examples of teamwork, leadership, values & standards, and a commitment to personal development. Try to link your answers to an example of each of these. For example, "when have you failed?" could link back to perhaps your failure to lead correctly in a situation that led to a negative outcome, what you learned from it, and how you have developed or intend to develop as a result of it in the future. You could also link it to failing your 1st RN application if you're like me and needed a couple goes.
  • Fitness: Just get it right. Run outside as well as on a treadmill. Get used to the wind and misery of the cold. No need to be nailing 2.4km in <8 minutes, but don't just scrape a pass on this. Make sure you're well-rested before the run - being well recovered here is vital to performing well.
Like I said, check my other posts on this subject. You will enjoy the day! Its intense and a little emotionally draining, but not impossible to score well on if you prepare properly. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Thank you for such a detailed response, It was very helpful!

I have a few planning exercise examples already but I didn’t know how to go about them. Now that I know, I will do as many as I can. I’ve been preparing my responses for the interview for a while now and trying to find good examples for different situations but it is not easy when I’m only 19 and just finished school!

Anyway thanks again for the help and good luck on the intake board for May.

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
Thank you for such a detailed response, It was very helpful!

I have a few planning exercise examples already but I didn’t know how to go about them. Now that I know, I will do as many as I can. I’ve been preparing my responses for the interview for a while now and trying to find good examples for different situations but it is not easy when I’m only 19 and just finished school!

Anyway thanks again for the help and good luck on the intake board for May.
They will be acutely aware of your age and will understand that you don't have as much life experience as a 25-year-old. Don't worry about it, just give the best examples you can and be yourself. The boards on my AIB were a mix of 19-year-olds up to 26 and we all passed.

You'll need to show that you can reflect on failure just as well as celebrating your achievements. Remember that they are looking for potential and not the finished article.

Cheers mate, feel free to message me about anything AIB related.