AIB Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mike-brown, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i am new to the fourum.

I am waiting on a letter inviting me for my RT test. I am currently an officer candidate applying for Pilot/Observer. But although i have the 180 UCAS points that i need, the navy won't accept 100 of them because they are from a vocational qualification this puts me below the 180 points that i need. Will they let me take my flying aptitude test and my AIB now or will i have to study for another Qualification first and then complete the rest of the application process?
  2. Why not ask whoever it is that's processing your application or told you that they won't accept the vocational qualification?
  3. I'm pretty sure that if you don't have the qualifications to join then you won't get in. It'd only take 3-4 months to complete a couple of A levels though mate. It'll be well worth it if you think you are up to it.
  4. Expanding on what Andy said, if you register here: for one or two A levels and sort out your exams in the next 2 weeks you can probably sit the exams in June or July ;)
  5. Tim OR Andy, Are you saying that one can study for an A Level, and then sit the A Level exam within 20 weeks? 8O

6. That's exactly what I'm saying. I registered for one but it seems I'm not one to learn via distance learning. :(
  7. Yes, it's not that surprising really. Secondary school takes the learning process relatively slowly. If you are only studying for one subject, it becomes a lot easier to learn, and some people have the ability to speed the process up. Learning establishments are more than willing to take on students who wish to study in this way, assuming the person understands that not everyone has the capability to study in such a short period of time.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the academic content of some qualifications other than A Levels is insufficient to match that of the A2 standard, regardless of the UCAS points awarded.

A BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Merit, Merit, Merit can however be accepted in certain circumstances- this needs to be verified by producng the certificates for scrutiny by AIB.

A stated intent to undergo further education is unfortunately not acceptable with regards meeting the minimum educational requirement for Officer, however if you are actually in your final year of your educational course with predicted adequate grades, you may be allowed to undergo FATs & AIB. The offer of a place cannot be guaranteed until you produce the certificate to confirm you meet the minimum academic requirement.

Good luck.