AIB Interview

MJ171717

Midshipman
Hi all,

Finishing off last minute preparation for my AIB,was hoping some of you could give me some questions you were asked at your AIB to make sure I've covered all topics necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Here's a few starters to hopefully get you thinking:

1. Give three examples of times you have organised a group activity then had to change your plan, how you went about it, what was the outcome and how you would have go about it now, with the benefit of hindsight. What did you learn about individuals involved and about yourself?

2. What is your least proud moment? Why? What did you learn from it? Give two other examples.

3. List all Royal Navy and Royal Marines equivalent Ranks from AB/Marine to Admiral and Lieutenant General.

Good luck.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
The board members have the freedom to take the questioning down any route they want to, but I guarantee they will ask what your motivation is for wanting to be a Naval Officer.

Also, along the lines of what Ninja said;
When was the last time you failed at something and how did you deal with that?

Expect to answer questions on your training pipeline, length of training, what it consists of etc. Not just BRNC but your downstream training too.

Having sat as an observer at a board (as well as having sat my own), I'd say don't forget the basics. Speak clearly, make eye contact with the person you're speaking to and don't try and be somebody you're not, because they'll see through you like glass. It might sound like common sense but you'd be surprised how people act when they're nervous.

Of the interviews I watched, the best was a young grad's where her answers flowed naturally. The worst was a UY whose answers were stilted and sounded rehearsed, as if he was saying what he thought the board wanted to hear rather than honestly answering the questions. For example, when asked why he thought he'd make a good Officer his answer was "I have moral courage". When asked to expand on that because, and I quote, "that's a bullshit SJAR comment" he couldn't back it up. It was clear he thought moral courage was a quality Officers should have and so he duly trotted out the phrase without thinking about what it meant. The grad however had genuine examples of difficult decisions she'd made, both personally and when leading a team, that sounded natural and not forced.

Last edited:

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
1. What is the difference between an Officer and a Rating?
2.Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
4. Your educational qualifications - they're not very good , are they?
5. What is the training/employment pipeline in your chosen branch for the first few years?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
What about RFA equivalent ranks?
I am trying to learn all three!!
I doubt they'll get asked at AIB for RN applicants, but it's certainly nice to know.

The RFA don't tend to be as rank absorbed as the Navy. In my experience, a nod accompanied with an "Ay up, wings" kind of replaces a salute ;)

FunkyJunky

War Hero
what was the greatest regret of your life and what did you learn from it
difference between an officer and a Rating
Why be an officer (don't be scared to mention the pay....no one does it for free)
What can you bring to the Royal Navy as an Officer
Give an example of when you displayed moral courage (or failed to do so)
Give an example of when you displayed compassion (or failed to do so)
and such questions like that
when did you take charge of a group of people, how did you manage the personalities and what was the biggest thing you learned from it

also, where are we in the world. What is the 'centre of gravity' for the RN

be yourself, be honest, if you did not do so well at school initially, say so. If you. If you wish you could change something about your journey in life, say so.