AIB Interview Questions

Hello all!

I am attending my AIB in about a months time and need to clear a few bits before I go. The first thing I need to clear is to what depth do they ask questions? For example if they ask about a Type 23, what is the most detail they will go into? Just what it is used for? or How many it can accommodate.

Another thing I need to find out is if they still do the Naval history questions? I was told that they have recently been taken out?

Thank you all!

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
When I had my AIB last October there were no history questions, and nothing specific about ships. Just knowing the very general facts of a ship, such as Type 23s are for anti-submarine warfare, should be more than enough. Where the RN is in the world is important - but they don't care which ships are there. If you can say "we have a ship in the Falklands" that's fine; they won't ask for her name.

Fantastic, exactly what I was looking for, I was only asking as I was told that some parts had changed since about 18 months ago when it was done. Thank you!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I had my AIB last October there were no history questions, and nothing specific about ships. Just knowing the very general facts of a ship, such as Type 23s are for anti-submarine warfare, should be more than enough. Where the RN is in the world is important - but they don't care which ships are there. If you can say "we have a ship in the Falklands" that's fine; they won't ask for her name.
Did you pass you AIB?

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
But if you can name her, give her class of ship and then explain why she’s down there, all the better. The board will assess the depth of your knowledge - and knowing your stuff will speak volumes in terms of your confidence and motivation for joining.

such as Type 23s are for anti-submarine warfare
Not trying to be too pedantic, but not strictly true. They are grouped as anti-sub or general purpose roles dependent on towed array fit. It could be argued that all 23s were / are anti-sub capable but think of the 'current' rationale for replacement of 23s with the Type 26/31 combo - anti-sub and general purpose.

But of course - I may be out of date also! - it has been known! :D

But if you can name her, give her class of ship and then explain why she’s down there, all the better. The board will assess the depth of your knowledge - and knowing your stuff will speak volumes in terms of your confidence and motivation for joining.
They didn't really give me a chance to go into any further detail - as soon as I had answered the basics, they moved on.

Taztiff, you're right. Is it something like 8 frigates are tasked for ASW and 5 are tasked for general purpose? In any case, saying that's the frigate's roles in a fight while the destroyers are for anti-air operations should be fine.

Seadog

War Hero
Never in the history of Rum Ration has such shit advice been given by one eager beaver to another, even in jest.

Well I thought it obvious it would just be username, but thanks for clearing that up gents! There's a fair few on here prepping for dates around Jan & Feb, taking it into WhatsApp to help revise.

It looks/sounds like boards still have the ability to allow candidates to dig huge holes for them to jump into.

Nice to see some traditions haven't been lost!!