AIB- help understanding NATO, CMF, EU and RN interoperability in middle east

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rmAET, Jan 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm revising for AIB at present, whilst looking at the contribution the RN has towards Anti-piracy, counter terrorism, maritime security etc in the Middle East, particularly around the gulf and around Somalia I am struggling to work out how RN ships fit into the many different operations being conducted in the area.

So far I can see that there are the three CTF's commanded out of Naval Support Activity Bahrain, SNMG1+2 SNMCMG1+2, and EU mandated missions from EUNAVFOR Somalia.

Am I looking too far into how an RN warship will commit to these missions or do I simply need to know that we do provide assets to the above missions?

2. RN contribution to Middle East Maritime Security in the Middle East is more than the provision of ships to the various CTFs. NSA Bahrain is the home of US NAVCENT (Naval Forces CENTRAL Command also know as C5F/Fifth Fleet), UKMCC Bahrain (United Kingdom Maritime Component Commander) and UKMCMFOR Bahrain (United Kingdom Mine Counter Measures Force).
    The US 2* Admiral in Charge of C5F is also Commander Combined Maritime Forces (CCMF) the RN 1* in Charge of UKMCC is also the Deputy Commander of CMF. Under CMF sit CTFs 150, 151 and 152 these are Multinational Task Forces with rotational Commands. A Nation will generally provide a CTF 1* command staff for 4-6 Month. The RN regularly commands CTF150 and 151, and has provided staff to these CTFs, when not in overall command. The UK has also hosted foreign flagstaffs on our ships. Other CMF CTFs exist for tasks such as Logistics and coordination of MPAs. The UK has contributed assets to all the, non glamorous, support CTFs.

EUNAVFOR Somalia (OP ATLANTA/CTF465) is an afloat 1* HQ with rotational command. The afloat 1* reports to the 2* EUNAVFOR Operational HQ in Northwood, UK. This is a multinational HQ to which the UK provides a significant number of staff.

NATO (OP OCEAN SHIELD/CTF508) is an afloat 1* HQ with rotational command. The afloat 1* reports to the MARCOM Operational HQ in Northwood, UK. This is a multinational HQ to which the UK provides a significant number of staff.

A RN vessel operating East of Suez may chop OPCON between the various CTFs and National Taskings.

Another significant UK asset in the AOR is UKMTO Dubai (UK Maritime Trade Organisation), they liaise with Merchant shipping helping spread good practise guides and obtaining information about ships planned activities. UKMTO now have "back office" support in the UK.