Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AIB fail and a 12 month wait you say?

TotalAlien

Midshipman
Hello all,

I recently got back from my AIB and was told to come back in 12 months time. I believe that this means I had a narrow fail but with significant room for improvement? My post here is with regards to getting some in-service experience and hopefully leadership training by joining the reserves(as a rating of course). I would like to do this for what will probably be more than 12 months. However, I applied for a pilot/observer role and was wondering if this would mean they would want me to stay in the branch I join the reserves as, I.E. a non aircrew branch, possibly in EW.

If anyone has any kind of insight into the unofficial implications of joining the reserves in the meantime, please could you let me know!

Cheers, TA

jimgallagher

Lantern Swinger
I passed the AIB first time round but was on the same day as the SDSR and was told it was unlikely i'd get in. I enquired about joining the reserves in the meantime and was basically told that joining the RNR just to gain an advantage with an application for officer entry was not an option. From their point of view they'd be better off spending those 12 months training someone that wanted to do it long term than someone that wanted to bugger off to bigger and better advice. My advice to you is to brush up your service knowledge more than last time and get even fitter. You've had the interview so you know what's coming. Sit down and fill a couple of sides of A4 with every conceivable question you could be asked and then work on an answer for each. Makes the interview so much easier! Doubtless you'll already know where you could have done better on the PLTs and the planex. Good luck for next time!

instinct

Lantern Swinger
I passed the AIB first time round but was on the same day as the SDSR and was told it was unlikely i'd get in. I enquired about joining the reserves in the meantime and was basically told that joining the RNR just to gain an advantage with an application for officer entry was not an option. From their point of view they'd be better off spending those 12 months training someone that wanted to do it long term than someone that wanted to bugger off to bigger and better advice. My advice to you is to brush up your service knowledge more than last time and get even fitter. You've had the interview so you know what's coming. Sit down and fill a couple of sides of A4 with every conceivable question you could be asked and then work on an answer for each. Makes the interview so much easier! Doubtless you'll already know where you could have done better on the PLTs and the planex. Good luck for next time!

Which is funny as thats not the view of the RNR, try asking your local unit, they would probably have you in a jiffy.

There has been a step change in the recruiting policy recently, and you may well find the the RNR will bite both your arms off. However the branches are exceptionally different from the regulars, you won't have to worry about that until you have passed out of Raleigh though, and that is unlikely to be within a year of joining (though if you have time on your hands, you can motor through). I'd not worry about the branch thingy, and get on to AFCO/rnr unit ASAP. Where is your nearest rnr unit? Good luck.

TotalAlien

Midshipman
There has been a step change in the recruiting policy recently, and you may well find the the RNR will bite both your arms off. However the branches are exceptionally different from the regulars, you won't have to worry about that until you have passed out of Raleigh though, and that is unlikely to be within a year of joining (though if you have time on your hands, you can motor through). I'd not worry about the branch thingy, and get on to AFCO/rnr unit ASAP. Where is your nearest rnr unit? Good luck.

Yeah, think I might have a go anyway if I have nothing to lose. My nearest one is HMS Forward in Birmingham where my ACLO is based. As a reservist though (I'm assuming you are here), would you say there is much to gain, leadership wise, if you join the RNR as a rating do you think?

Many thanks
TA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S AIB fail - join RNR? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
G Fresh from AIB fail... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Story of an AIB Fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
Olly013 AIB fail due to university? - Some advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Joe_Crow AIB fail The Quarterdeck 26
M AIB fail to rating entry, no wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B Waiting time for Rating after AIB fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Norther If AIB is a fail, join as a Rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
R Fail officers AIB what would you then be offered???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Issues with waiting times for AIB and lack of communication from AFCO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P AIB wait for priority roles Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS CMA letter to AIB NI on a breach of Directions given under the SME Banking Undertakings MoD News 0
G AIB Joining the Royal Navy 11
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
C AIB revision Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Selection after AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
A AIB waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 64
O Aircrew AIB - February 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 1
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C AIB study books - current and good Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C June AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
C AIB swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C AIB pass rate Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Upcoming AIB for TMO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Y AIB Layout Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L AIB and aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H AIB Prep - What are the keys to success? Joining the Royal Navy 4
G How often do the AIB interviews take place? Joining the Royal Navy 5
C AIB - no return Joining the Royal Navy 3
G AIB 21st may 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
woody28 AIB score?? Joining the Royal Navy 4
H PANDORA / T Score - FATS/AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Does anyone have experience with the JobTestPrep guide for AIB? RFA 4
C AIB - 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A AIB Joining the Royal Navy 3
Kelvin AIB Diary - 2018 Format Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
W AIB Current Royal Navy Operations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
W AIB Questionnaire and Final Prep Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W Passed AIB however told selection unlikely Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
photface New AIB format fitness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
W AIB Interview Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12