AIB Essay Titles

Pontius

War Hero
You don't need to know the titles beforehand. You need to be able to structure an essay showing good use of grammar and punctuation, informed opinion etc. it's used as a test of your writing skills because part of an officers role is writing reports.

Your punctuation skills make my eyes bleed.

Asking for recent attendees to give the currently used essay titles for him to practice is most certainly cheating. Think of it this way, when sat facing the board would you have like to have been asked to explain why and how you obtained the current questions prior to AIB and how you think that relates to one of the core principles of being a Naval officer, integrity?

What bolleaux. Any self-respecting candidate will have explored every avenue to increase his chance of success at the AIB and this will be expected. It's not cheating; it's using common sense and initiative to achieve the best outcome. As for the morality lesson; you need to grow up and realise that RN officers live in the real world and not some Dickensian novel. I don't think your pleading to the Captain that you failed to carry out the task because your chivalrous deeds did not match up to the mindset of the enemy, who were being frightfully dishonest and not obeying the rules, will be too well received.

Last edited:

MotleyBlue

Badgeman
I do mostly agree Pontius maybe my post was a bit over zealous in its morality! I just feel that comparing the actions of someone who is attending AIB to that of a fully trained RN officer is a bit of a misnomer, they are looking for potential and I think someone who potentially shows a lack of moral fibre may not be the best candidate is all. After all I managed to pass it without researching potential essay titles or PLTs and I have a great deal of self-respect! But I guess each to their own, If it works for them and there happy to do it and the establishment is happy with it then crack on! Anyway good luck at AIB OP and let us know how you got on!

labrum

War Hero
I do mostly agree Pontius maybe my post was a bit over zealous in its morality! I just feel that comparing the actions of someone who is attending AIB to that of a fully trained RN officer is a bit of a misnomer, they are looking for potential and I think someone who potentially shows a lack of moral fibre may not be the best candidate is all. After all I managed to pass it without researching potential essay titles or PLTs and I have a great deal of self-respect! But I guess each to their own, If it works for them and there happy to do it and the establishment is happy with it then crack on! Anyway good luck at AIB OP and let us know how you got on!

The issue is not the OP's integrity, it's that you feel you are in a position to judge his decision making.

Top tip for your future career - If you are going to acknowledge a poor decision on your part, however 'diplomatically' (over zealous blah, blah), always leave it at that and don't proceed to justify your decision once more. Learn this early and you will do well, learn this late or never and you will look back on a career full of missed opportunity.

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the advice I will definitley take it on board (no nautical pun intended!).

I'm not really in any position to give advice out, but when has that ever stopped any of us, as proven here? If I might venture therefore to pass on something I have learned over my relatively brief but interesting life:

Refrain from making a prat out of yourself by pointing out other the errors other people make and concentrate on your own failings, with basic spelling being one of them as highlighted above.

As for cheating - if those running the AIB want every candidate to be on a completely even footing when they arrive, then they should prevent forums such as this from even so much as mentioning anything to do with the AIB. The reality is that there are hundreds of pages of useful information on here. Senior officers within the RN frequent this site (shock horror, now where is that "delete" button?!); from what I have seen, none of them have as yet complained about the wealth of knowledge available to candidates. That may tell us something important about the difference between outright cheating and using one's common sense.

And before I get it in the neck from the "Out the Cheats Gang" for having an opinion on something I know nothing about, I passed my AIB last year and - if I may bang my own drum for a moment (bang bang) - I got above average marks overall, and particularly on the essay.

SO THERE. :winkrazz:

Last edited:

SUYAIB

Badgeman
What bolleaux. Any self-respecting candidate will have explored every avenue to increase his chance of success at the AIB and this will be expected. It's not cheating; it's using common sense and initiative to achieve the best outcome. As for the morality lesson; you need to grow up and realise that RN officers live in the real world and not some Dickensian novel. I don't think your pleading to the Captain that you failed to carry out the task because your chivalrous deeds did not match up to the mindset of the enemy, who were being frightfully dishonest and not obeying the rules, will be too well received.

I fully concur with you Pontius. I started this thread: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/newbies/32581-aib-essay-titles.html and in no way thought I was cheating. My main aim was to get a feel for the sort of subjects that crop up so when the paper was put in front of me the choices were not so much of a shock. I don't find current affairs particularly interesting unless directly affecting myself. I rarely watch the news unless there is a military interest and my paper of choice is Navy News!

You can't slate someone for putting some effort into their preparation; even if there are some things you can't prepare for any little heads up or snippet of information can be useful.

As for my essay, something to do with traffic problems if I remember; as for the other choices I haven't got a clue!

Mou Sea

Badgeman
I'm not really in any position to give advice out, but when has that ever stopped any of us, as proven here? If I might venture therefore to pass on something I have learned over my relatively brief but interesting life:

Refrain from making a prat out of yourself by pointing out other the errors other people make and concentrate on your own failings, with basic spelling being one of them as highlighted above.

As for cheating - if those running the AIB want every candidate to be on a completely even footing when they arrive, then they should prevent forums such as this from even so much as mentioning anything to do with the AIB. The reality is that there are hundreds of pages of useful information on here. Senior officers within the RN frequent this site (shock horror, now where is that "delete" button?!); from what I have seen, none of them have as yet complained about the wealth of knowledge available to candidates. That may tell us something important about the difference between outright cheating and using one's common sense.

And before I get it in the neck from the "Out the Cheats Gang" for having an opinion on something I know nothing about, I passed my AIB last year and - if I may bang my own drum for a moment (bang bang) - I got above average marks overall, and particularly on the essay.

SO THERE. :winkrazz:

Congratulations on passing the AIB, when are you off to BRNC?

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Congratulations on passing the AIB, when are you off to BRNC?

Mou Sea, without wanting to criticise you or anyone who has posted their start date in the BRNC thread...

No one but a small selection of family and friends will know when I am going to BRNC. :)

jc103

Midshipman
My top tip for AIB is (by all means practice every aspect including the essay, however...) --- it's worth a pidley low number of points --- don't fret too much about the essay.

A valid view is that it WILL be the first impression/aspect of you that the board gets to see and judge, however in the grand scheme you'll be far better off putting more effort into practicing interview technique and likely questions with various friends/colleagues/someone who intimidates you than practicing essays.

Pickup a Saturday copy of the Times, or listen to Radio 4's breakfast (6-9am) or 5-6pm daily summary/discussion of current events for a couple of weeks, practice a handful of military based questions (seems to me that justifying certain aspects - do we need carriers? do we need marines? do we need nuclear weapons? etc. - comes up periodically) and you should be alright.

Last edited:

tentoes

War Hero
My top tip for AIB is (by all means practice every aspect including the essay, however...) --- it's worth a pidley low number of points --- don't fret too much about the essay.

A valid view is that it WILL be the first impression/aspect of you that the board gets to see and judge, however in the grand scheme you'll be far better off putting more effort into practicing interview technique and likely questions with various friends/colleagues/someone who intimidates you than practicing essays.

Pickup a Saturday copy of the Times, or listen to Radio 4's breakfast (6-9am) or 5-6pm daily summary/discussion of current events for a couple of weeks, practice a handful of military based questions (seems to me that justifying certain aspects - do we need carriers? do we need marines? do we need nuclear weapons? etc. - comes up periodically) and you should be alright.

Do we need Marines? Necky Hornblowers!

Pontius

War Hero
Incorrect, Tentoes. Go forth and study the difference twixt proper nouns, improper nouns and the capitalisation thereof.

Latest Threads