AIB date.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rinsie, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just received my AIB date, 6th October, and have a Warfare Officer acquaint next week, so realistically I have two weeks of hard work. It's good and bad that the acquaint is so close, obviously I can gain vital information so close to the interview, but I also lose out 4 days of work/revision for the AIB. I've been waiting for a date for 8 months, nervous it's so close but excited that all the waiting is over. It's a strange feeling knowing that you will know the result of such a pivotal point in your life in only three weeks. My main concern is the current affairs essay, I have always been terrible at this kind of assessment, my strengths academically always have been maths based. Does anyone have any advice on last minute revision for this? I've been reading papers, watching the news, but are there any practice questions or tips anyone else has? I've read most of the information on here (which has been a great help), just wondering if there are any extra pointers. Many thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Surely you've had the luxury of 8 months to prepare?

A good website for up to date info is the FCO website & the official Mod site. Have a shufty at the AIB condensed thread in the Newbies FAQ section too.

Best of luck.

3. The essay doesn't carry that many marks so I really wouldn't lose sleep over it. You're doing more than enough.

Best of luck!

4. Sorry if it's been asked before but doe anyone have a rough breakdown of the points system for AIB?

5. Rinsie,

You sound like you're flapping!! Calm down, your prep sounds good, you seem to be taking it seriously.

The essay is not only assessed on the content, consider structure, grammar, relevance, brevity and clarity of argument. Do not panic if you don't have a complete knowledge of the subject, as long as you can express yourself clearly in written form.

Good luck!

6. Am i correct to say that you have a choice of three subjects for the essay??

7. You do not need to be a subject matter expert for the essay, but concentrate on getting the structure, spelling and grammar correct. The essay is judging your communication skills. If in doubt, draft a few on a topic from the media and have an English teacher or someone with a grasp of writing give feedback.
    The essay is worth enough points to save you if one of the big three on day 2 don't go well (Leadership tasks, Discussion Ex and Interview). Personally I would concentrate more time on preparing the Interview and Discussion Ex.

AIB is looking at 5 competencies:
    Effective intelligence, leadership, communication skills, courage and values, and motivation.
    Everything you do there is measured against one or more of those competencies.

Also, if you have had 8 days of quality preparation time that should be enough!!

8. Hi Rinsie, I hope you did well at AIB. I'm waiting for a date, busy getting fit and practising essay writing. I found an excellent study aid on Amazon for the service knowledge side of things with loads of practice tests etc. Getting a bit concerned about the cuts that are happening but I guess they still have to recruit.

9. Study aid - what what?

10. If you are hoping for a reply from Rinsie you will have a long wait. That post is over 2 years old and he/she hasn't visited the site since October 2009. Good luck at the AIB. There are some useful threads on this site to help with AIB preparation. Try the Search function.