AIB/Dartmouth records

Discussion in 'History' started by spearfish, Apr 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for the AIB/Dartmouth records of an officer who joined in 1919.Does anybody have any idea of whether they would still exist and if so where would they be?
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You could try the records section at BRNC. When I was on the staff in 2000 I got my records from '92 and noticed they had volumes going back quite some time. Can't recall quite how far though!
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

1919 can't do (!) but in the fifties a form E.190 was raised for the newly-joined officer and followed him around behind his back until he got his ticket when it was eventually forwarded to him - when some of the comments may have come as a bit of a shock. The 'form' was actually like a small exercise book but formally printed with set-piece places for each entry which which would be filled in in manuscript by the appropriate reporting officer. I would not think there was any copy held back in the Admiralty.

Civil Service Commissioners' exam results and then the AIB results were printed off and the candidate was sent a copy. Presumably in that case something went into the Admiralty archive for each term's entry; for 1919 could be in PRO in the ADM section. Fun reading at a later date to see how one's chums' marks for 'Officer-Like Qualities' stacked up against their eventual careers.
  4. Wave dodger would you have a contact at the record section?I am looking for the records of Commander JW Linton VC.I have a copy of his service record,but not his early records.