AIB Bleep hell

sara21

Lantern Swinger
Hi, as many of you already know I have my AIB in 4 weeks. I am generally quite fit and active BUT I would like to improve my Bleep Test score somewhat. Any tips on the fastest and best way to improve my score in this short time?

Cheers
Sara

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I don't know if the bleep scores are universal, but about 9.8 should be a reasonable score to achieve. There are no special tricks to the bleep test and anyone of average fitness should be able to do it.

Fartleck training between lamp posts. Run from post 1 to 2, sprint from 2 to 3, run from 3 to 4, sprint from 4 to 5 and so on.

Its also advisable to practice quick turns whilst running - just run up and down between two lamp posts or similar. Its not just the run than ends up being the killer, the turns take it out of you too.

Further to that, apparently the bleep test isnt a pass fail on time - its all about effort (according to the AIB DVD) if you dig in and get red faced and nearly throw up at the end you'll be OK - if you wimp out and can still walk and breath afterwards you haven't tried hard enough !

Good luck

SUYAIB

Badgeman
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Further to that, apparently the bleep test isnt a pass fail on time - its all about effort (according to the AIB DVD) if you dig in and get red faced and nearly throw up at the end you'll be OK - if you wimp out and can still walk and breath afterwards you haven't tried hard enough !

Good luck

That sounds similar to the briefing I received by the board SR on the first evening. I can't say I saw evidence of us being watched that closely, although I did have to leave the gym for fear of blowing chunks once I'd had my 3 strikes. Concur with KLNA though, run until you die or the staff tell you to stop

The 3 SUY candidates (youngest 34 yrs) outperformed about 5 of the 8 (one scored 9.2 and the other 2 got to 9.10 - which was nearly half a level less than the ones we did a couple of weeks prior to AIB) Of the civvies on the board if I remember correctly, one 18 yr old girl gave up at level 4.5 and a 20 year old lad stopped at level 6.2, another lad did get to about level 12.5ish though.