AIB and Marking Scheme

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by har02009763, Aug 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,

I went for an AIB last September and unfortunately failed it. However the good news is I was asked to come back in a years time which is something my DO is looking into now and getting me booked.

Since my last AIB I understand a few things have changed slightly including the marking and pass marks for each job preference.

Does anyone have any ideas on the new marking system for each branch and anything else which you think might be of use to my upcoming board.

Currently serving as an AB Submariner which is great but looking forward to a much bigger challenge.

Cheers everyone

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest, I'm not sure the marking scheme is in the public domain. If it is legitimately available, I'll do a bit of digging & post it.

Needless to say if it's "NAAFI Cosmic -UK Eyes Only" then I'm afraid my lips are sealed.

In any event, you should've had a debrief on your strengths and weaknesses post AIB.
  3. The marking schedule has indeed changed, at least since I went through the AIB in 2009, however as Ninja says, it's probably not meant for general distribution. I would suggest your DO requests a visit to acquaint themselves with the current process. I went a few weeks ago as 2 of my guys are about to go and found it very useful.

That said, the AIB isn't a minimum effort affair, you should be aiming for as high a score as possible, so the marking schedule is irrelevant. Ultimately they are still looking for the same qualities of leadership, effective intelligence and communications skills that they've always been after. Make the best effort to address whatever shortcomings you had last year and give it your all.
    Good luck.
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I've posted this before; a too frequent critique of an AIB essay goes like this:

Poor spelling, poor sentence construction, poor grammar, poor punctuation, immature and did not answer the question.

Usually found in the 'fail' pile.

• Like Like x 2
  5. No excuse for poor spelling anymore, the essays are done on a computer with spellcheck available.

Other than that, the essays I read the other week pretty much matched that description.
  6. Seadog

Smellpecker can't help with typos that form a valid word and is just as useless at differentiating advise and advice, effect and affect etc.
  7. Thanks for the info, that's a huge relief given my chicken scrawl handwriting!
  8. If essays are a problem you can practice using a formulaic approach and making sure you can spell key words correctly. If you get someone to think up a few topical turtles you can answer using an introduction, three arguements for and two against (as separate paragraphs) then a summary and conclusion. Simple and works for whatever title generally.
  9. The trouble is that people always choose the Green. The Hawksbill never seems to warrant a mention.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Seadog

Key words like 'Britannia'?
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Are they tropical turtles?
  12. The Hawksbills I stamped on and turned into ash trays were in Vanuatu, whereas the Green ones I ate were in Hawaii. I consider both locales to be very nice and tropical.

PS: I didn't really kill or eat any
  13. Part of the Brittas Empire